* Re: [9fans] USB wifi
@ 2013-12-13 10:53 Antonio Barrones
From: Antonio Barrones @ 2013-12-13 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is a little off-topic, but I have wireless in Plan9 with a
OpenWrt router like
this one: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n
It has a client mode. You can configure your wireless network with a
web browser, and once it is configured you don't need to do anything,
at every boot you will have the router connected to your wireless
network.
>From the Plan9 side you only need an Ethernet and ip/ipconfig. It can
be configured also via ssh but you need more skills.

Antonio

>9front includes softmac wifi layer supporting wpa and wpa2 with
>factotum. (we support intel wifilink based cards and ralink 2866)
>
>steal it if you can :-)
>
>--
>cinap

* Re: [9fans] USB wifi
@ 2013-12-12 18:02   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2013-12-12 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2013-12-12 16:18 ` Salman Javaid
From: Salman Javaid @ 2013-12-12 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I would absolutely love to do this. Can you help me through it?

P.S.: I am a complete noob.

Best Regards,
Salman Javaid

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:

> There is no usb wifi suppotrt in plan9 (unless you know different).
>
> Surfing around I found a candidate for a reasonable well documented
> device if anyone has the time and enthusism.
>
> The RT2571w - a PDF of a datasheet giving register level programming is
> on the net, and there is a bare metal embedded driver which might
> be a fair option for example code (better than the Linux driver i suspect).
>
> https://github.com/sbourdeauducq/rt2571w
>
> At least there is this much info.
>
> -Steve

* Re: [9fans] USB wifi
@ 2013-12-12 15:57 ` Tristan
From: Tristan @ 2013-12-12 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> There is no usb wifi suppotrt in plan9 (unless you know different).

i'm fairly sure i have a working-but-not-finished driver for the marvell
liberatas (olpc, and a few external devices, only 802.11g) in my contrib.
no encryption or anything fancy but enough to load plan9 over it.

tristan

--
All original matter is hereby placed immediately under the public domain.

* Re: [9fans] USB wifi
@ 2013-12-12 14:12 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-12-12 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Dec 12 06:44:46 EST 2013, steve@quintile.net wrote:
> There is no usb wifi suppotrt in plan9 (unless you know different).
>
> Surfing around I found a candidate for a reasonable well documented
> device if anyone has the time and enthusism.
>
> The RT2571w - a PDF of a datasheet giving register level programming is
> on the net, and there is a bare metal embedded driver which might
> be a fair option for example code (better than the Linux driver i suspect).

good luck!  definately a needed bit.  as you probablly know, sometimes neither
are as helpful as one would expect.

- erik

* [9fans] USB wifi
@ 2013-12-12 11:43 Steve Simon