* [9fans] use Go rewrite plan 9
@ 2011-08-19  9:00 xiangyu
From: xiangyu @ 2011-08-19  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Now the Golang is almost mature . Are  the designers of  plan9
interested in rewriting plan 9 in the Go language ? personality I'm
very expecting they do it. the reasons are : first the language change
from C to Go is the last step of the whole Unix to Plan9. second  it
will provide a good place to study  the Go language. use the software
written with it........ I'm expecting they will do it.

* Re: [9fans] use Go rewrite plan 9
@ 2011-08-19  9:16 ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2011-08-19  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If you are interested, there is one attempt to do parts of it:

goblin (userland utilities)
git://github.com/jdparent/goblin.git

oh shell (rc re-implemented in go)
https://github.com/michaelmacinnis/oh

gish (which utility written in go)
https://bitbucket.org/jpoirier/gich

... and probably lots of more stuff out there...

no go compiler written in go yet though.

@ 2011-08-20  7:45 ` Yousong Zhou
From: Yousong Zhou @ 2011-08-20  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Wow. The other day when I saw Go as a language of choice for the
google's appengine, I ran into the search engine and searched if there
were plans of implementing an OS using Go since I had heard words that
it's a system-level language attempting to surpassing C.

As to plan9, I never got the chance to run it up using real box or
virtualbox or vmware thing. sad... It would be great following the
grow-up of an OS with brand new concepts.

@ 2011-08-20  8:32   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2011-08-20  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Plan9 is the best idea I've seen never widely executed.  Some people in the know get it, but with the way the web and the cloud is turning out, well it just makes a ton of sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2011-08-21  0:26     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2011-08-21  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Huh, the web is exactly what plan9 tried to be for the masses.