* [9fans] How do I run plan9 in virtualbox?
@ 2023-08-02 18:06 yourlitlen1g
From: yourlitlen1g @ 2023-08-02 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I want to use plan9 in a virtual machine but I don't know how to install it

* Re: [9fans] How do I run plan9 in virtualbox?
@ 2023-08-02 19:07 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2023-08-02 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

not knowing how to use a VM is unusual. hard to beleive tbh. good
shitpost. will buy again.
virtualbox otoh is a usual error. avoid that solution.

On 8/2/23, yourlitlen1g@national.shitposting.agency
<yourlitlen1g@national.shitposting.agency> wrote:
> I want to use plan9 in a virtual machine but I don't know how to install it

* [9fans] Re: How do I run plan9 in virtualbox?
@ 2023-08-02 19:13 ` redhatuser
From: redhatuser @ 2023-08-02 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

So according to you, which one do you use?

* Re: [9fans] Re: How do I run plan9 in virtualbox?
@ 2023-08-02 19:23   ` Don A. Bailey
From: Don A. Bailey @ 2023-08-02 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Re: [9fans] Re: How do I run plan9 in virtualbox?
@ 2023-08-02 20:13   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2023-08-02 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

oh you don't want to know, but i'm telling you anyway: smartos.

@ 2023-08-02 20:49     ` Robert W. Baskette
From: Robert W. Baskette @ 2023-08-02 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you feel like targeting ppc, you could host 9front in z/VM your z/Series.

Here's some docs to get you started:
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/cic/1.1.4?topic=tutorials-getting-started-zvm

@ 2023-08-17  2:17       ` Don Bailey
From: Don Bailey @ 2023-08-17  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

forgot to respond to this but fwiw, running plan9 on virtualbox seems to
work peachy. Hiro what was the bug(s) you were running into before? I've
never ran into an issue with it, but I've only used vbox on Linux; maybe
it's a host/CPU issue?

@ 2023-08-17  7:07         ` Peter Hull
From: Peter Hull @ 2023-08-17  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 at 03:18, Don Bailey <don.bailey@gmail.com> wrote:

> forgot to respond to this but fwiw, running plan9 on virtualbox seems to work peachy. Hiro what was the bug(s) you were running into before? I've never ran into an issue with it, but I've only used vbox on Linux; maybe it's a host/CPU issue?

My experience is that I ran 9front mostly successfully for a long
time, but sometimes versions of either 9front or VB would conflict.
Recently it stopped working for me:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=109347
I think the issue is that, due to the way it works (it's
virtualisation, not an emulator), some aspects of the host CPU 'leak
through' and that isn't always handled correctly. I had another issue
with valgrind and Fedora linux which was down to the same thing.
Someone once told me that QEMU always works, but last time I tried,
QEMU is not very nice to use on Windows.
Pete

* Re: [9fans] Re: How do I run plan9 in virtualbox?
@ 2023-08-17 10:08           ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2023-08-17 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I suppose hyper-v works on windows.

@ 2023-08-17 10:13         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2023-08-17 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

oh, sorry for overlooking this mail before. so quite lucky for you
that this thread has clawed itself back out of it's grave.

the problem with vbox is the people who maintain it and allow bugs to
slip in on every other release. there is zero quality control.
normally, it's not a host/cpu issue and it's not a 9front issue. it's
a little babies like to rattle the box issue.

yay, and the 1001th support request about vbox has been answered. my pleasure.
please rate us with 5 stars for our continued engagement on this topic..
thank you.