* [9fans] Gsoc: Plan9 not the only one
@ 2015-03-06 11:59 tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2015-03-06 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For info, NetBSD neither has been selected as a mentoring organization
this year.

I think it's fair for Google to devote help for softwares that do have
huge problems :-^ that can not be addressed by a single person, but only
circumvented by mass mobilization...
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                     http://www.arts-po.fr/

* Re: [9fans] Gsoc: Plan9 not the only one
@ 2015-03-06 12:08 ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2015-03-06 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 12:59 PM,  <tlaronde@polynum.com> wrote:
> I think it's fair for Google to devote help for softwares that do have
> huge problems

Correct. phpMyAdmin has huge problems.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] Gsoc: Plan9 not the only one
@ 2015-03-06 13:04   ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2015-03-06 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 6:08 AM, Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 12:59 PM,  <tlaronde@polynum.com> wrote:
> > I think it's fair for Google to devote help for softwares that do have
> > huge problems
>
> Correct. phpMyAdmin has huge problems.

It's certainly not the first year that we've been skipped over. GSoC is a
very popular program and frankly, there is only so much money to go around.

* Re: [9fans] Gsoc: Plan9 not the only one
@ 2015-03-06 13:05   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2015-03-06 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Due to being a big commercial player with good ties to the most
important peacekeeping nation of the world I anyways trust that they
know best what to invest in for the greater good. If they don't give
all their money to open source perhaps they instead support more
important projects.

@ 2015-03-06 16:31     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2015-03-06 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Mar  6 05:06:35 PST 2015, sstallion@gmail.com wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 6:08 AM, Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 12:59 PM,  <tlaronde@polynum.com> wrote:
> > > I think it's fair for Google to devote help for softwares that do have
> > > huge problems
> >
> > Correct. phpMyAdmin has huge problems.
> >

> It's certainly not the first year that we've been skipped over. GSoC is a
> very popular program and frankly, there is only so much money to go around.

two uncoordinated applications from what may be seen as the same group
may not have helped.

in any event, i think i have time for one student over the summer.  i can't
pay like google, but i think there are some super cool projects in both kernel
and user space.  contact me off list if you're intrested.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Gsoc: Plan9 not the only one
@ 2015-03-06 17:25       ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2015-03-06 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Quoting erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:

> two uncoordinated applications from what may be seen as the same group
> may not have helped.

While I understand it's fun to speculate that somehow 9front is totally the
worst thing that ever happened to anything, and clearly we in #cat-v are
some of the evilest people to ever ruin the whole internet, I've had a
conversation with the GSoC applications team about our application.  At no
time did anyone even imply they were confused by the fact that two different
organizations both used plan 9.

The 9front org and its application did not at any time pretend to represent
Bell Labs or any other group of people.

In our case, they were very clear that they liked almost all of our GSoC
application, but were concerned that we did not have sufficient verbage
in our ideas page regarding how to onboard beginners and get them on the
road to completion of the projects we had laid out as suggestions.

I look forward to being hypothetically blamed for All the Problems in the
year ahead.

khm