* Re: [9fans] [9front] DHCP not working on usb ethernet dongle
       [not found] <8981471e80e3938f4d3dc68ee77a876f@felloff.net>
@ 2017-01-04 23:20 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2017-01-04 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, 9fans

Its not the same problem, but just in case it helps,
adding a second usb ether adapter onto a raspberry pi,
which runs the labs distro not 9front.

I need to add
	ether1=type=usb
to cmdline.txt

and then add the following to /cfg/$sysname/termrc

	if(! ~ `{cat '#l1/ether1/addr'} 000000000000){
		echo ether1: present
		bind -b '#l1' /net.alt
		bind -b '#I1' /net.alt
		ip/ipconfig -x /net.alt ether /net.alt/ether1
		ndb/cs -x /net.alt
		ndb/dns -x /net.alt -r
	}
	if not {
		echo ether1: missing
	}

this worked seamlessly once I got a supported, and reliable ethernet dongle.
I tried a couple of chinese ones but settled on an apple one which is well
manufactured (perhaps I was just unlucky).

All kudos to Richard Miller who helped me through this.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] [9front] DHCP not working on usb ethernet dongle
@ 2017-01-05 14:06   ` Dave MacFarlane
From: Dave MacFarlane @ 2017-01-05 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't think it's related, since there's no primary ethernet or /net
on the laptop for it to conflict with (there's just a wifi card that
isn't supported, which is why I needed the dongle in the first place.)

I spent some time comparing nusb/ether/asix.c to the axeg(4) driver on
my lunch hour yesterday, and I'm suspecting that it might be a 88178
vs 88178a chipset thing since the rx ctl register is different between
the two drivers and the problem is that asixreceive() is never getting
called, but I haven't had a chance to dig any deeper or verify if it's
an "a" chipset with mislabeled packaging while I have physical access
to the machine/dongle.

--
- Dave