* [9fans] RAID box with plan9 filesystem
@ 2011-12-21 16:14 tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2011-12-21 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

Perhaps somebody will have hints about the following.

I work with ou for small to middle sized enterprises, that can have the
need for a GIS infrastructure.

The data is the crux; but the evolution of data, and the ability to be
able to view the state of data at YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss to compare
projects or the avancement of realization is essential.

As far as my software is concerned, I have solved easily the problem
because... I'm the developper: I know what to save; I save only the
files that allow the value adding software to rebuild everything if
needed; I save them in text format; and I simply use a CVS... Simple.
But works. And this secondary feature is what prospects welcome first.

But what is here with my software would be interesting for other data,
but in binary format.

The best solution for me would be a RAID 1---or some form of backup---;
the reduction of the size of the stored data by sharing the duplicated
blocks; and the history.

As one can rapidly conclude: This means plan9 type WORM.

So are there commercial products available:

1) As a small file server to plug in a network;

2) With at least RAID 1 hardware;

3) With a Plan9 like WORM filesystem;

4) And an easy interface for---mainly---Windows workstations (the only
alien in these networks being my Unix server). This means a CIFS
protocole.

Constraints:

1) Product available in France;

2) I'm neither a hardware nor a filesystem expert, so I don't plan to
provide my own solution or to administrate the beast: if enterprise X
buys to provider Y, they riot directly together in case of problem, I
don't want to be the middle man...

Thanks for any tip!
                      http://www.kergis.com/