* [9fans] Public access Plan 9 on VPS (or Pi) available?
@ 2013-05-24 11:45 Ruslan Khusnullin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ruslan Khusnullin @ 2013-05-24 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello, 9 fans!

If I wanted to play with native Plan 9 installation or demonstrate it
to someone, does anyone have a Plan 9 installed on a VPS or a Pi with
free guest access? It would be nice to be able to drawterm to it. I
remember there were discussions about creating Plan 9 instance on
Amazon EC2 platform, but why bother if someone would be so kind to
share own virtual server.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: [9fans] Public access Plan 9 on VPS (or Pi) available?
@ 2013-05-24 13:22 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2013-05-24 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> remember there were discussions about creating Plan 9 instance on
> Amazon EC2 platform, but why bother if someone would be so kind to
> share own virtual server.

Why bother?  Because you might learn something from the experience
of doing it yourself.  I think you can get still get free usage of
an ec2 instance for a year, so it's not a costly experiment.

Instructions at http://9fans.net/archive/2012/05/453

* Re: [9fans] Public access Plan 9 on VPS (or Pi) available?
@ 2013-05-24 13:36   ` Ruslan Khusnullin
From: Ruslan Khusnullin @ 2013-05-24 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
> Why bother?  Because you might learn something from the experience
> of doing it yourself.  I think you can get still get free usage of
> an ec2 instance for a year, so it's not a costly experiment.

I have installed Plan 9 in VirtualBox and QEMU earlier. I have it
running on my home computer and can access it from work through VPN
but sometimes I want to have a Plan 9 machine with public IP to access
it from anywhere. Also it would be nice to share one machine with
other users to experience how it is. Using Plan 9 with 1 user I feel
some lonely :)

> Instructions at http://9fans.net/archive/2012/05/453

Thanks a lot!

* Re: [9fans] Public access Plan 9 on VPS (or Pi) available?
@ 2013-05-24 13:46     ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2013-05-24 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You can also talk to khm about getting you a machine on 9cloud. It's 9 bucks a month and the service is super good.
I'm up for giving you an account on my machine if you pay for a month of hosting, but I agree with everyone that said you should set it up on your own.

--
Veety

* Re: [9fans] Public access Plan 9 on VPS (or Pi) available?
@ 2013-05-24 13:47 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-05-24 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 03:45:07PM +0400, Ruslan Khusnullin wrote:
> Hello, 9 fans!
>
> If I wanted to play with native Plan 9 installation or demonstrate it
> to someone, does anyone have a Plan 9 installed on a VPS or a Pi with
> free guest access? It would be nice to be able to drawterm to it. I
> remember there were discussions about creating Plan 9 instance on
> Amazon EC2 platform, but why bother if someone would be so kind to
> share own virtual server.
>
> Thanks in advance.

http://www.9srv.net/accounts.html

* Re: [9fans] Public access Plan 9 on VPS (or Pi) available?
@ 2013-05-25 16:56 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2013-05-25 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I give out accounts on 9srv (apologies to those in my backlog queue; soon). I'm out of the country for a few days but if you follow the instructions for a request on the wiki I'm happy to help out.

That said, I agree with Richard: installing the system is educational.

@ 2013-05-30 13:19   ` Ruslan Khusnullin
From: Ruslan Khusnullin @ 2013-05-30 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks to everyone, especially to Richard for the AMI and
instructions, I have successfully created Plan 9 instance on Amazon
EC2. I would share it, everybody is welcome.

I've reached one goal: having Plan 9 machine accessible from anywhere.
The second interesting part is to gain experience in administering
Plan 9 system for several users, so I welcome everyone. I hope I can
bear Amazon bills during first free-tier-plan year myself, so it's
free for interested users.