* [9fans] segbrk(2) vs friends
@ 2015-12-07 16:00 Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2015-12-07 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm trying to understand the reason behind the introduction of segbrk(2).

I cannot find a use case in the codebase.

The manual <http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/2/segbrk>page states that:

The segbrk system call may go away or
be re-implemented to give more general segment control, sub-
suming the functions of brk(2) <http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/2/brk>,
segflush(2) <http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/2/segflush> and segfree
insegattach(2) <http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/2/segattach>.

But given the manpage itself is pretty cryptic, I wonder if it's outdated.
Or if it is actually deprecated.

Do you know any paper that can explain its design and intent?

Giacomo