* [9fans] Do you use fossil or venti under Linux?
@ 2017-06-06 21:39 James A. Robinson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: James A. Robinson @ 2017-06-06 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

While I was playing around getting v9fs mounts to work, I see that
plan9port has added fossil and venti at some point.  I was curious whether
or not anyone was actually running these under Linux?

Jim

* Re: [9fans] Do you use fossil or venti under Linux?
@ 2017-06-06 21:48 ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2017-06-06 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have since 2013 or so. I've had zero issues - you can find a few
scripts on sources along with an updated README:

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/stallion/venti/README

HTH,
Steve

@ 2017-06-06 22:51 ` Juan Céspedes
From: Juan Céspedes @ 2017-06-06 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

We use venti from plan9ports since 2008, as a daily back-up system for
about 60 servers.

Other than being sloooow, we are very happy with it.

--
Juan Cespedes
http://www.cespedes.org/

* [9fans] Do you use fossil or venti under Linux?
@ 2017-06-07  7:55 ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2017-06-07  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, I have been running a venti at home for some years, and a much smaller
one at work. The venti at home has about 2Tb of data and runs on the linux
machine which I uses as a SMB file server, and the file server uses the
venti for backup. In addition, various laptops also use the same venti for
backup. At work, I back up my home directory every night, simply because it
is much less hassle than going through the sysadmins if I need to restore
somthing. Saved my ass many times. I originally ran the venti at work on my
Solaris desktop machine, but had to move it to another (linux) machine
after the constant update of the venti index threatened to destroy my SSD
disk... It sure was fast, though.

I have only played around with fossil a bit, both on linux and on a 9front
machine. My intention was to eventually replace the SMB server with a
fossil server, but I do not like the fact that fossil crashes if you fill
up its write buffer on disk. So I would have to fix that first by making it
block and start a dump to venti if it get close to the capacity.

Another thing with fossil that irks me is that the file formats for fossil
and vac (which I use for backup) seem to have diverged. This is
unfortunate, otherwise I could easily experiment with switching from my SMB
server to a fossil server by initializing the fossil file system from a vac
score. (Yes, I know that I would be missing  /archive, but I could always
make a new fossil command to initialize a directory from a given score
after having initialized a fossil file system)

Snipped from vac/file.c

* Fossil generates slightly different vac files, due to a now
 * impossible-to-change bug, which contain a VtEntry
 * for just one venti file, that itself contains the expected
 * three directory entries.  Sigh.

I cannot see why the bug is impossible to change if I do not need backwards
compatibility, though.

Ole-Hj.