* [9fans] two ventis?
@ 2017-12-12 20:41 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2017-12-12 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Can a venti instance be configured to service to two seperate venti
filesystems? They would need different names and different listner
names but can they share a process / buffer cache?

I guess the alternative is to run two seperate instances.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] two ventis?
@ 2017-12-12 21:58 ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2017-12-12 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Strictly speaking, isn't venti just content-addressable block storage, not
a file system? Anyway, I'm curious to know what you are going to use this
for.

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 9:41 PM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:

> Can a venti instance be configured to service to two seperate venti
> filesystems? They would need different names and different listner
> names but can they share a process / buffer cache?
>
> I guess the alternative is to run two seperate instances.
>
> -Steve

* Re: [9fans] two ventis?
@ 2017-12-13  0:08   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2017-12-13  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

true

i have my old work archives and rather than merge that venti into my main one i could just mount it via vacfs on demand (from 9fs). but can one venti cope with two incompatible sets of arenas?

-Steve

> On 12 Dec 2017, at 21:58, Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen <ole.hjalmar.kristensen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Strictly speaking, isn't venti just content-addressable block storage, not a file system? Anyway, I'm curious to know what you are going to use this for.
>
>> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 9:41 PM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>> Can a venti instance be configured to service to two seperate venti
>> filesystems? They would need different names and different listner
>> names but can they share a process / buffer cache?
>>
>> I guess the alternative is to run two seperate instances.
>>
>> -Steve

* Re: [9fans] two ventis?
@ 2017-12-13  7:41     ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2017-12-13  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)