* [9fans] Signature algorithms for P9P ssh-agent
@ 2023-02-11  4:07 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2023-02-11  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Briefly: I hacked P9P's ssh-agent to handle my 4096-bit RSA key, but
it still interacts poorly with conventional Linux/Debian installations
of OpenSSH. The error message:

agent key RSA SHA256:XXX...XXX returned incorrect signature type

is explained as follows on stackoverflow:

This message means that the SSH connection negotiated a connection
using an RSA key with a different signature algorithm, either SHA-256
or SHA-512. However, the SSH agent, when asked to make the signature
for that connection, provided an SHA-1 signature, which isn't in
compliance with the agent protocol.

Before I tackle the complexities of RSA encryption and decryption, is
there a quick description of where I may be able to add the missing
signature algorithm so I can upgrade the agent and/or factotum (Plan 9
rsaencrypt and rsaencrypt functions are the likely culprits, I just
need some directions to avoid poorly re-inventing the wheel).

Lucio.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-02-11  4:07 UTC | newest]