From: Lucio De Re <lucio.dere@gmail.com>
To: ori@eigenstate.org
Cc: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Getting git9 -- moved to github.
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 06:07:24 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2/3/20, ori@eigenstate.org <ori@eigenstate.org> wrote:

> ssh, like most plan 9 programs, supports net!host!port syntax.
> It making ssh gratuitously different is a bad idea.

I beg to differ. It is optionally and compatibly different and pretty
much something the SSH maintainers clearly also think should NOT be
added from traditional reasons. How long did it take before "-l lucio
proxima,alt.za" became "lucio@proxima.alt.za" and who had the
influence to make that happen?

From "lucio@proxima.alt.za" to "lucio@proxima.alt.za:4321" seems a
pretty natural, intuitive step. I may of course be missing an
incompatibility but, failing that, I think I have a valid case.

Looking at 9legacy's ssh/(ssh1 ssh2) may say otherwise and that I'm
willing to concede. But a "-p 4321" option and its equivalent seems to
me to require just a couple of additional lines in the ssh(1) man page
to be worth accepting.

I confess I have not yet looked at that man page, so the scope may
need to be bigger. But I will include my take on that in the SSH patch
(which is forthcoming according to the advice above, separately from
the git9 one, just not yet).

As for git9/proto.c, I merely re-arranged the code, mostly. Something
about a trailing colon was in place, but I did not entirely understand
what it attempted to take care of. I still need to check that I have
not  broken "git fetch" in the process.

Lucio.