From: Lucio De Re <lucio.dere@gmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Getting git9 -- moved to github.
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 06:03:29 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2/3/20, cinap_lenrek@felloff.net <cinap_lenrek@felloff.net> wrote:

> this was a huge mistake. in plan9 we are lucky not to
> be affected by this too much and we can handle these
> things without much pain and without touching every
> program.

I am not challenging the lucky break Bell Labs got with the use of
exclamation marks, although the use of Bash (an unfortunate shell if
ever there was only one!) makes you regret that decision. And if you
ever work in support, someone else's configuration of Bash is seldom
something you can escape from.

> dialstrings also let you pick the protocol and also the
> ip stack to use. programs that do not accept dialstrings
> sabotage a usefull plan9 capability and break consistency.

It is a wonderful thing for a Plan 9 user to be able to ignore the
reality of Linux desktops, as much as it is wonderful for Linux users
to be spared the Windows World. But I wonder how many of the people
here live in that reality?

> i'm pretty sure the original plan9 ssh1/ssh2 also accept
> dial strings just fine.

And so it should, may it rest in peace. As I said, I am not
challenging the Plan 9 lucky break at all. As far as 9front cmd/ssh.c
goes and Ori's git9/proto.c goes, both worlds seem to coexist happily,
just as the two workstations coexist on my desk. There is an ambiguity
in git9, I need to examine it in more detail.

If somebody can show that I have broken something irreparably, I take
it all back, if not, what we need is a little bit of additional
information in the man pages. I haven't had the time to organise any
of that, unfortunately. Hopefully, over the next weekend I shall.

Lucio.