* Re: [9fans] Fortran growing in absolute number of users
@ 2011-12-01 20:56 arnold
From: arnold @ 2011-12-01 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Me:
> > An interesting tidbit I came across:
> >
> > http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2011/09/24/fortran-is-more-popular-than-ever-intel-makes-it-fast/

Erik:
> by interesting, one assumes your mean, makes you want to
> give up computing as you now realize it's an exercize in
> regressing at moore's law speeds.
>
> - erik

I thought it was an interesting tidbit that HPC people are going back
to Fortran from C++.

Ron, care to comment?

Erik, maybe dig out the V7 ratfor and bring it into the 21st century
for Plan 9?  (:-)

Arnold

* Re: [9fans] Fortran growing in absolute number of users
@ 2011-12-01 21:54 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-12-01 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I thought it was an interesting tidbit that HPC people are going back
> to Fortran from C++.
>
> Ron, care to comment?
>
> Erik, maybe dig out the V7 ratfor and bring it into the 21st century
> for Plan 9?  (:-)

i'll put it on the list ....

actually, i did my time in the dusty decks.  don't think i care for
a reprise.  in that case we had .c4 and .f4, which were c and fortran
decorated with m4 macros.  basically, it allowed us to extend type
checking into fortran.

the system was diaboliclly brilliant.  it was just enough to keep
and old program going, yet not enough to aliviate the suffering
of its maintainers.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Fortran growing in absolute number of users
@ 2011-12-02  6:39 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-12-02  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

A guy I know at LANL just mandated C++ for all codes, no more Fortran.

There are no hard and fast rules.

That article is an advertisement, so treat it as such :)

ron

* Re: [9fans] Fortran growing in absolute number of users
@ 2011-12-02 13:41   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2011-12-02 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

ratfor++ to the rescue!

--
Don't meddle in the mouth -- MVS (0416935147, +1-513-3BRUCEE)

* Re: [9fans] Fortran growing in absolute number of users
@ 2011-12-02 13:46     ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2011-12-02 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>From PJ Plauger when asked about Ratfor:

Q: What's Ratfor?
PJ: To eat cheese.

Noah

@ 2011-12-02 13:58       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2011-12-02 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Only the cheese stands alone, Unix sup TM.

I wish I had the poster.

@ 2011-12-01 19:48 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-12-01 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans