* [9fans] mercurial poisoning
@ 2013-04-14 19:27 Skip Tavakkolian
       [not found] ` <CA+db=n1c-aA=N9Zj+dJ5kjup_07C3kp_QxEMjSkhoohZBSU_MQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2013-04-14 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, golang-nuts

I can build Go from tip on Plan 9 using a local repo clone.  I want
to  build it using a repo exported from a Linux box (via u9fs) -- because
of codereview extensions and keeping a consistent repo.  Trying to build a
remotely mounted clone, I get:

cpue% ./all.rc
# Building C bootstrap tool.
cmd/dist

# Building compilers and Go bootstrap tool for host, plan9/386.
*** failed to import extension codereview from
$GOROOT/lib/codereview/codereview.py: [Errno 12] Invalid argument
abort: There is no Mercurial repository here (.hg not found)

go tool dist: FAILED: /bin/hg identify -b:
'/n/zotac/usr/local/go/VERSION.cache' does not exist
cpue%

/n/zotac is the Linux filesystem that is served by u9fs. Any hints?

-Skip

* Re: [9fans] [go-nuts] mercurial poisoning
       [not found] ` <CA+db=n1c-aA=N9Zj+dJ5kjup_07C3kp_QxEMjSkhoohZBSU_MQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-04-14 21:53   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2013-04-14 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: minux; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, golang-nuts

Unfortunately doesn't seem to help:

cpue% ./all.rc
# Building C bootstrap tool.
cmd/dist
go tool dist: FAILED: /bin/hg identify -b:
'/n/zotac/usr/local/go/VERSION.cache' does not exist
abort:: '/bin/abort:' directory entry not found
cpue%

@ 2013-04-14 22:30     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2013-04-14 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Tavakkolian; +Cc: minux, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, golang-nuts

it's "$GOROOT/VERSION.cache". just put whatever you want in there or
bind it from /tmp if you don't want to pollute the non-plan9 side of
things.

@ 2013-04-14 23:05       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2013-04-14 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrey mirtchovski
  Cc: minux, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, golang-nuts

thank you minux and andrey.

I realized I needed something in the file; 'touch VERSION' wasn't fooling
it.

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM, andrey mirtchovski
<mirtchovski@gmail.com>wrote:

> it's "$GOROOT/VERSION.cache". just put whatever you want in there or
> bind it from /tmp if you don't want to pollute the non-plan9 side of
> things.
>
> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Skip Tavakkolian
> <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Unfortunately doesn't seem to help:
> >
> > cpue% ./all.rc
> > # Building C bootstrap tool.
> > cmd/dist
> > go tool dist: FAILED: /bin/hg identify -b:
> > '/n/zotac/usr/local/go/VERSION.cache' does not exist
> > abort:: '/bin/abort:' directory entry not found
> > cpue%

> of

> >> you should disable the codereview plugin in .hg/hgrc.
> >>
> >> another workaround is to create $GOROOT/VERSION file manually so that
> >> the build process won't need mercurial.

> > --

* Re: [9fans] mercurial poisoning
       [not found] ` <CA+db=n1c-aA=N9Zj+dJ5kjup_07C3kp_QxEMjSkhoohZBSU_MQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-04-15  4:21 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-04-15  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> go tool dist: FAILED: /bin/hg identify -b:
> '/n/zotac/usr/local/go/VERSION.cache' does not exist
> cpue%

If you have a VERSION file (not VERSION.cache), the build won't look
for VERSION.cache, nor try to build it.  It's not the ideal solution,
nor is aliasing hg to "echo" with some arbitrary string as argument.
I tend to build Go on the host computer, specially after a recent "hg
sync" (or "hg pull"), then reanme VERSIOn.cache to CACHE.  If you
delete VERSION* before the build:

	$ cd $GOROOT/src
	$ rm -f $GOROOT/VERSION
	$ ./all.bash &&
		mv $GOROOT/VERSION.cache $GOROOT/VERSION

then subsequent Plan 9 builds will work.

Also, while you're at it, add an arbitrary "echo" at the end of
make.rc and remove the leading dot in ".  ./make.rc" in all.rc to
allow the procedure to run without interruption.  The tests are still
incomplete, though, in my experience.

++L

PS: This works for me for 386 and arm.  Let me know if you encounter
any further problems, by now I ought to know all possible tricks :-)