* [9fans] Porting 9front.net/go/draw to Plan 9
@ 2015-07-09 14:52 Friedrich Psiorz
From: Friedrich Psiorz @ 2015-07-09 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi!

I'm currently writing a graphical application in Go that I would like to
be able to run both in Unix and Plan 9. Currently the 9fans.net/go/draw
library only works in Unix, by connecting to p9p devdraw. Does one of
the maintainers of that repository read this list?

I have the following questions:
- Is anyone still maintaining the repo or is it dead? Who can I contact
directly?
- Do you even want a native Plan 9 port?
- Is there still interest in finishing the parts of that library that
are missing?

I know that there is also mischief's draw9 library which is basically a
port of the same repo, but only for Plan 9, not Plan 9 Port. I would
like to run in both and I would prefer not starting a third incompatible
clone.

Cheers
Fritz

* Re: [9fans] Porting 9fans.net/go/draw to Plan 9
@ 2015-07-09 14:55 ` Friedrich Psiorz
From: Friedrich Psiorz @ 2015-07-09 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I mean 9fans.net/go/draw

Sorry for the wrong subject line

@ 2015-07-09 15:03   ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2015-07-09 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> - Is anyone still maintaining the repo or is it dead? Who can I contact
> directly?

Russ Cox is maintaining the draw package.

> - Do you even want a native Plan 9 port?

Nick Owens did a Plan 9 port (based on a slightly older version).

https://bitbucket.org/mischief/draw9

> - Is there still interest in finishing the parts of that library that
> are missing?

Yes.

One nice thing would be to share a common API on both Unix and Plan 9.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] Porting 9front.net/go/draw to Plan 9
@ 2015-07-10 10:18 ` yy
From: yy @ 2015-07-10 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9 July 2015 at 16:52, Friedrich Psiorz <f.psiorz@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm currently writing a graphical application in Go that I would like to
> be able to run both in Unix and Plan 9. Currently the 9fans.net/go/draw
> library only works in Unix, by connecting to p9p devdraw.

I am sorry I do not have answers to your questions. But here you have
a devdraw version which, instead of using Xlib, connects to a wsys
service using 9p:

https://bitbucket.org/yiyus/devwsys-prev/src/tip/util/9p-srv.c

I was using it from Unix, but porting to Plan 9 should be quite easy.
Then, go/draw would work without many changes. Of course, this
solution is far from optimal (the path will unnecessarily be go/draw
-> devdraw.9p -> wsys), but it should get the ball rolling.

--
- yiyus || JGL .

* Re: [9fans] Porting 9front.net/go/draw to Plan 9
@ 2015-07-10 14:37   ` Friedrich Psiorz
From: Friedrich Psiorz @ 2015-07-10 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks!

I still think a real port would be better, and probably not too hard.
But your post made me think … maybe it would be nice to separate the
front end from the back end, so devdraw would be one possibility, the
native file system another and possibly an imported
9fans.net/go/plan9/client a third one.

But for now, I think I will just hard-wire the native file system for
Plan 9 and devdraw for all other OSs.

@ 2015-07-10 15:09     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2015-07-10 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs