* [9fans] Accessing auth/fs via Tailscale
@ 2023-08-23 18:48 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2023-08-23 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've been meaning to mention this in case others might be interested.

Tailscale is great at providing an efficient, secure and (mostly)
decentralized virtual mesh network.  Although there isn't a port of
their agent for Plan 9, there is a way to use tailscale to access Plan
9 auth/fs/cpu behind a firewall.

I have a Linux box with IP forwarding enabled that runs a tailscale
agent configured to be a subnet router for my Plan 9 network (see
their docs). On my laptop (macOS with TS agent installed) I boot a
9legacy term under qemu which then accesses the auth and the fs by
their IP addresses.

Of course the Linux box wouldn't be necessary if there was a tailscale
agent for Plan 9 (it's in Go and open source), but none exists
(yet?!).

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-08-23 18:49 UTC | newest]