* Re: [9fans] Making available a pre-compiled go binary for Miller's plan-9 Pi image
@ 2016-10-31 13:56 Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2016-10-31 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Oct 28, 2016, at 4:14 PM, David du Colombier <0intro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As you wish:
>
> http://www.9legacy.org/download/go/go1.7.3-plan9-386-bootstrap.tbz
> http://www.9legacy.org/download/go/go1.7.3-plan9-amd64-bootstrap.tbz
> http://www.9legacy.org/download/go/go1.7.3-plan9-arm6-bootstrap.tbz
> http://www.9legacy.org/download/go/go1.7.3-plan9-arm7-bootstrap.tbz

Awesome! Thanks for putting these up. I wasn't aware of 9legacy, I'll have
to go looking around.

Thanks!

Marshall

* Re: [9fans] Making available a pre-compiled go binary for Miller's plan-9 Pi image
@ 2016-10-28 17:49       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-10-28 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

An alternative to building a Go 1.4.3 bootstrap environment, is to build a
Go 1.7 bootstrap environment for Plan 9 in a mainstream environment like
Linux or Mac OS X, then use it to build Go 1.7 on Plan 9.   General outline
is to:

* follow the instructions on how to clone and build Go 1.7 on, say, Linux.
* once Go is built  and installed, build a Plan 9 bootstrap
    cd $GOROOT/src
    GOOS=plan9 GOARCH=386 ./boostrap.bash

this produces the bootstrap hierarchy in ../../go-plan9-386-bootstrap.
 copy the hierarchy over to Plan  9 and set GOROOT_BOOTSTRAP to that
location, then build Go 1.7 on Plan 9.

The general explanation of bootstrapping Go is here:
https://golang.org/doc/install/source#go14

FYI, when i need to 'git clone' something on Plan 9, I mount the fs from
Linux (p9p) and do the git stuff there.

@ 2016-10-28 14:53       ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2016-10-28 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks David,

I will give this a try.

Chris

@ 2016-10-28  6:58     ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2016-10-28  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2016-10-28  6:54   ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2016-10-28  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If you have troubles building Go on Plan 9, you can easily cross-compile
Go for plan9/arm from another operating system.

cd /usr/local/go/src
GOOS=plan9 GOARCH=arm GOARM=7 ./bootstrap.bash

Then you get /usr/local/go-plan9-arm-bootstrap.tbz, that you can extract
on your Raspberry Pi.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] Making available a pre-compiled go binary for Miller's plan-9 Pi image
@ 2016-10-27 23:43 ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2016-10-27 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I was thinking about this myself. I'm more in favour of a script that downloads the go source and compiles it since it seems to be more in the spirit of plan9.

The trouble is that Go has made it harder to do now that you have to have an n-1 version of Go to compile n. This started with 1.5 but 1.5 doesn't seem to compile or run well on plan9.

Maybe a compromise would be to have tbz binaries for 1.7 and a script that takes them and uses it to compile a fresh copy from sources and cleans up the bootstrap. Otherwise, you need to cross compile from another OS. Yuck.

Chris

@ 2016-10-27 16:26 Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2016-10-27 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans