* [9fans] Killing another user's process
@ 2017-07-24 16:40 Peter Hull
From: Peter Hull @ 2017-07-24 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Is it possible to kill another user's process in plan9?
Specifically I've been messing about with tftpd, which sets itself up
as user 'none' - if I want to stop the tftp server, how do I do that?
Thanks,
Pete

* Re: [9fans] Killing another user's process
@ 2017-07-24 18:23 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2017-07-24 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If you're the host owner, you can:

Kill tftpd | rc

(See rc scripts kill and Kill)

@ 2017-07-25  7:34   ` Peter Hull
From: Peter Hull @ 2017-07-25  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks, Skip.
I thought that ought to work, however 'kill tftpd' doesn't give any
output. (I can kill other processes)
I think maybe I have misunderstood the host owner part. If I do a
plain install (of 9front, actually) from the CD and log in as glenda,
am I not the host owner?
Thanks,
Pete

@ 2017-07-25  9:14     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2017-07-25  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

lower case kill restricts the list to processes of the invoking user
initial cap Kill doesn't do that.
for lower case kill, you can @{rfork n; echo -n none >/tmp/none && bind
/tmp/none /dev/user && kill tftpd}
you wouldn't normally of course but aspects of that command might be
instructive

@ 2017-07-25  9:31       ` Peter Hull
From: Peter Hull @ 2017-07-25  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 at 10:14 Charles Forsyth <charles.forsyth@gmail.com> wrote:

> lower case kill restricts the list to processes of the invoking user
> initial cap Kill doesn't do that.
Apologies both - didn't read Skip's answer properly. I saw kill where
I should have seen Kill.

> for lower case kill, you can @{rfork n; echo -n none >/tmp/none && bind /tmp/none /dev/user && kill tftpd}
> you wouldn't normally of course but aspects of that command might be instructive
Definitely.