* [9fans] How do I get a CSR CA's like?
@ 2015-05-23 15:31 Brantley Coile
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brantley Coile @ 2015-05-23 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I’m trying to buy a certificate.  Actually, I’m trying to *get* a certificate.  They seem to already have my money.  Anyway, they want me to paste a Certificate Signing Request into their web page.  I have done the following:

	dmr% auth/rsagen -b2048 >key
	dmr% auth/rsa2csr 'C=US ST=Georgia L=Athens O=South Suite CN=www.etherdrive.com' key >xx
	dmr% auth/pemencode 'CERTIFICATE SIGNING REQUEST' <xx >csr

I then pasted the contents of ‘csr’ into the page and get “This CSR has an invalid signature!”

What am I doing wrong?

* Re: [9fans] How do I get a CSR CA's like?
@ 2015-05-23 16:40 ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2015-05-23 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Personnaly, I don't have auth/rsa2csr, but I generate the certificate
request from Linux using OpenSSL:

$ openssl req -newkey rsa:2048 -days 730 -keyout key.pem -out csr.pem
-subj "/C=FR/ST=Paris/L=Paris/CN=9grid.fr" -nodes

Then, I convert the key from PEM to DER format:

$ openssl rsa -in key.pem -inform PEM -out key.der -outform DER

Then, I get the certificate from the CA and copy it to Plan 9:

% cp crt.pem /sys/lib/tls/cert.pem

Finally, I import the DER key to factotum:

% auth/asn12rsa -t 'proto=rsa service=tls owner=*' key.der >key
% ramfs -p
% cd /tmp
% auth/secstore -g factotum
% cat key >>factotum
% auth/secstore -p factotum
% cat factotum | read -m >/mnt/factotum/ctl

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] How do I get a CSR CA's like?
@ 2015-05-23 17:08 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2015-05-23 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I then pasted the contents of ‘csr’ into the page and get “This CSR
> has an invalid signature!”

It's worth playing with openssl to check the output from auth/rsa2csr.
The diagnostics are bound to be a bit less vague.  Trying your
instructions, the PEM encoded csr includes the seemingly unwanted word
"SIGNING" in the headers.  When I remove it (and a space) openssl req
reports a valid certificate request.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] How do I get a CSR CA's like?
@ 2015-05-23 17:43 ` balaji
From: balaji @ 2015-05-23 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

as lucio says, just removing the word SIGNING makes it good.
you can test it here: https://www.sslshopper.com/csr-decoder.html

@ 2015-05-24 12:10   ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2015-05-24 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks all.  It goes through sslshopper fine, but the CA still doesn’t like it. I’ll call them tomorrow.  Thanks for all the help.

bwc

@ 2015-05-24 13:07     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2015-05-24 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thanks all.  It goes through sslshopper fine, but the CA still doesn’t
> like it.  I’ll call them tomorrow.  Thanks for all the help.

You may have neglected some of the options, for example, you may be
required to specify what the certificate is good for: web server, mail
server, etc.

I know how to set these in openssl, it isn't as obvious with the Plan
9 tools.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] How do I get a CSR CA's like?
@ 2015-05-24 15:10     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2015-05-24 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

going by my notes from the last time i used plan9 tools to generate a
CSR, the only differences i see are quoting the O attribute to handle
spaces in organization name and dropping the word "SIGNING" from
PEM header/footer.

@ 2015-05-25 19:06       ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2015-05-25 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Turns out the CSR wasn’t acceptable because of the MD5 signature. It seems the that they should be signed as RSA and not MD5.  MD5 is not deemed secure enough.  The plan 9 code is signing everything with MD5. Who owns this code? Has anyone fixed this yet?

@ 2015-05-26 13:27         ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2015-05-26 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

UPDATE:

I now have reason to believe that they just removed MD5 from known signing algorithms, and that a SHA1 will work.  Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,
bwc

@ 2015-05-26 14:44           ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2015-05-26 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Fixed.  Use shall instead of md5 and everyone is happy.

@ 2015-05-26 14:46             ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2015-05-26 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

(Ducking smelling connection!) Use sha1.

@ 2015-05-26 18:00           ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2015-05-26 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I now have reason to believe that they just removed MD5 from known
> signing algorithms, and that a SHA1 will work.  Anyone know anything
> about this?

There's an exploit for the MD5 version.  It looks pretty serious and
deserves to be fixed by disabling the MD5 signing algorithm.

	www.phreedom.org/research/rogue-ca/

What exactly did you change in /sys/src/libsec/port/x509.c?  I had a
quick look this morning, but I didn't have the opportunity to dig deep
enough.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] How do I get a CSR CA's like?
@ 2015-05-26 19:35             ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2015-05-26 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I just changed “md5(…)” to “shall(…)” and added an object id to the table.  Once I figured out I didn’t have to us RSA to *sign* the CSR, but had to have something other than md5, it was easy.

@ 2015-05-26 19:44               ` Joe Bowers
From: Joe Bowers @ 2015-05-26 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If it's just as simple, this might be the right place/time to use sha256
for this sort of thing.

@ 2015-05-27  2:24                 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2015-05-27  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If it's just as simple, this might be the right place/time to use sha256
> for this sort of thing.

Again, I did not look into this in detail, but CSRs I generated
recently with openssl seem to use "SHA1 with RSA encryption" for the
signature:

Certificate Request:
        Version: 0 (0x0)
        Subject: C=ZA, L=Kestell, ST=Free State, O=Proxima Research & Development, OU=Public Internet Services, CN=serendipity.proxima.alt.za/emailAddress=admin@proxima.alt.za
        Subject Public Key Info:
            Public Key Algorithm: rsaEncryption
                Public-Key: (1024 bit)
                Modulus:
                    xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
                    xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
                    xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
                    xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
                    xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
                    xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
                    xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
                    xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
                    xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
                Exponent: 65537 (0x10001)
        Attributes:
            a0:00
    Signature Algorithm: sha1WithRSAEncryption
         xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
         xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
         xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
         xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
         xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
         xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
         xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:
         xx:xx

That was what I thought would take some effort to get right in x509.c

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] How do I get a CSR CA's like?
@ 2015-05-27 16:41                 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2015-05-27 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

done.

http://plan9front.googlecode.com/hg-history/fa82e7b5731e34e120e982f8519d36916ee126b0/sys/src/libsec/port/x509.c
http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/source/detail?r=fa82e7b5731e34e120e982f8519d36916ee126b0

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] How do I get a CSR CA's like?
@ 2015-05-27 17:57                   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2015-05-27 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

just fixed another problem in the code. verify_signature() did not
check the digest length!

http://plan9front.googlecode.com/hg-history/8b005ad9d48998e30c4715383c8bc53fae0eccb1/sys/src/libsec/port/x509.c
http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/source/detail?r=8b005ad9d48998e30c4715383c8bc53fae0eccb1

--