* [9fans] Hi from a new fan
@ 2011-11-11 19:37 Scott Elcomb
From: Scott Elcomb @ 2011-11-11 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just like to take a quick moment to say hello to the list and
introduce myself.  Hi there! =D

For roughly the last 6 years or so, I've been picking away at "Atomic
OS" - a metaphorical OS / abstraction layer for web application
developers.  (That's my goal anyway.)

Initially the direction was influenced by Linux, but given limitations
inherent to browser-based environments, I needed to find analogues for
things like files, devices, and processes.  Some time ago it struck me
that a great deal of functionality is exposed via file-based
interfaces in the *nix family of systems ("everything is a file") and
that, with a shift in perspective, JavaScript objects could easily be
viewed in the same light.

Fast forward to last week and a conversation pops up on the GTALUG
mailing list[1], referencing Plan 9's manpage for a draw device.
Curious about the subject line "everything is a file," I had a look
and am really glad for it.  After several days of playing around, I
really look forward to learning and experimenting further with Plan 9
and Inferno.

For any who might be interested in my toy, there's a bare-bones,
pre-alpha, lotsa-lil-broken-things demo[2] (eventually to become a
reference implementation) at <http://psema4.github.com/Atomic-OS/>.
No "devices" yet[3] and the only "process" is the shell, but it does
(more or less[4]) work.

I expect to redesign around an implementation of 9P/Styx in the
not-too-distant future[5].  =)

Unicibus ipsis Unicior,
- Scott

[1] <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.tolug/56135>
[2] For WebKit & Gecko browsers - IE probably wont work, but mobile should be ok
[3] I was working on a simple networking device when I read [1];
something will be committed soon
[4] If in doubt, use absolute paths
[5] After HTML5's WebRTC & PeerConnect API's go mainstream

--
? Scott Elcomb
? @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca

? Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems
? http://code.google.com/p/atomos/

? Member of the Pirate Party of Canada
? http://www.pirateparty.ca/

* [9fans] Hi from a new fan
@ 2011-11-12 21:19 ` L N
From: L N @ 2011-11-12 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Scott Elcomb <psema4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just like to take a quick moment to say hello to the list and
> introduce myself.  Hi there! =D
>
> For roughly the last 6 years or so, I've been picking away at "Atomic
> OS" - a metaphorical OS / abstraction layer for web application
> developers.  (That's my goal anyway.)
>

> Atomic OS is a "live" OS-like environment and SPA library/template for web
> app development.
>
> At it's core, Atomic OS aims to provide to web developers features that
> desktop dev's take for granted: basic operating system features like a
> command interpreter and filesystem.

Check out ...

http://www.tcl.tk/doc/scripting.html

http://wiki.tcl.tk/