* [9fans] Step by step Acme/Mail with plan9ports in Mac OS X Setup
@ 2013-06-11 16:09 Brian Vito
From: Brian Vito @ 2013-06-11 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Has anyone prepared a step-by-step guide to setting up plan9port's
Acme Mail in Mac OS X? Everything I can find in the archives is
incomplete in some way and I haven't been able to figure out how to
set things up. I am using lavabit mail (and could use either POP or
IMAP, whichever is easier). Thanks very much.

* Re: [9fans] Step by step Acme/Mail with plan9ports in Mac OS X Setup
@ 2013-06-11 18:42 ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2013-06-11 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 11 June 2013 18:09, Brian Vito <brian.vito@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone prepared a step-by-step guide to setting up plan9port's
> Acme Mail in Mac OS X? Everything I can find in the archives is
> incomplete in some way and I haven't been able to figure out how to
> set things up. I am using lavabit mail (and could use either POP or
> IMAP, whichever is easier). Thanks very much.

I do not know about Mac. But following are my notes about what I should do
when installing slackware and want to use p9p's acme Mail together with my
gmail account accessed via imap.
If that can help...
(I use secstore to keep my passwords, but this should not make
a difference.)
note:
My machine has the name 'perseus'.
I guess also something like
127.0.0.1               localhost
127.0.0.1               perseus
must be in /etc/hosts.
Finally, 'rudas.dom' near the end can probably be whatever you like. I do not
know what that is really good for.

Ruda

#mailing using p9p Mail in acme
#have a 9mail script in bin with
mailfs -t imap.gmail.com
sudo /usr/sbin/stunnel3 -c -d 12345 -r smtp.gmail.com:465
#do what's in $PLAN9/mail/README
#then remove upas/vf from the pipeline in mail/lib/qmail
#(was the cause of the .suspect being attached to mails;
#according to the plan9 mailing list it is no longer used)
#add keys like
key proto=pass role=client server=perseus service=smtp user=rudolf.sykora@gmail.
com !password?
key proto=pass role=client server=imap.gmail.com service=imap user=rudolf.sykora
 !password?
#to factotum (... secstore)
#1st line in 9mail (above) should now be enough so that
#acme's 9 Mail -s could read email
#2nd line thereof should arrange things for sending an email, which
#can be tested with eg
$PLAN9/bin/upas/smtp -ai 'tcp!perseus!12345' rudolf.sykora@gmail.com
rudolf.sykora@cern.ch <msg
#where msg contains
Subject: test

test
#
#Modify $PLAN9/mail/lib/rewrite
YOUR.MAIL.GATEWAY
change to
tcp!perseus!12345
#Modify $PLAN9/mail/lib/remotemail so that the last line reads
#something like this
exec upas/smtp -ai .rudas.dom $addr rudolf.sykora@gmail.com $*
#note particularly the -ai switch