* [9fans] secstore in p9p, how to use well
@ 2013-12-19 16:22 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2013-12-19 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello everyone,

already for some time I've been using secstored+factotum+ssh-agent
on linux with p9p. The machine, call it 1, runs basically all the time and
let's presume I am logged on it all the time, too.
The problem/inconvenience I've had is when I connect to this machine
via ssh and want to use the system to connect to yet another machine,
call it 2.
The best would be if all worked transparently and as soon as I manage
to log in to machine 1 I could easily proceed an use the running
ssh-agent to get me to machine 2. However, I don't know how to set this
up.

So far I have, among other things, this in my .profile.
----------
secstore=localhost export secstore
NAMESPACE=/tmp/ns.ruda.0 export NAMESPACE
if [ ! -d "$NAMESPACE" ]; then
    mkdir $NAMESPACE
fi
auth=localhost export auth
secstored
factotum
eval `9 ssh-agent -e`
-----------

This ends with the following when I connect:
------------------
secstored: tcp!*!5356: Address already in use

secstore password:
9pserve: announce unix!/tmp/ns.ruda.0/factotum: Address already in use
factotum: post9pservice factotum: 9pserve failed
ssh-agent: announce unix!/tmp/ns.ruda.0/ssh-agent.socket: Address already in use
------------------

which is not unexpected, however, whatever I tried didn't get me to
the desired effect.

Can you suggest what I should do?

Thank you!
Ruda Sykora

* Re: [9fans] secstore in p9p, how to use well
@ 2014-01-05 10:38 ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2014-01-05 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

so nobody uses secstored+factotum+ssh-agent on linux
with p9p like I do?

Thanks!
Ruda

@ 2014-01-05 14:40   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-01-05 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 19 December 2013 17:22, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> already for some time I've been using secstored+factotum+ssh-agent
> on linux with p9p. The machine, call it 1, runs basically all the time and
> let's presume I am logged on it all the time, too.
> The problem/inconvenience I've had is when I connect to this machine
> via ssh and want to use the system to connect to yet another machine,
> call it 2.
> The best would be if all worked transparently and as soon as I manage
> to log in to machine 1 I could easily proceed an use the running
> ssh-agent to get me to machine 2. However, I don't know how to set this
> up.

on plan 9, to use the terminal's factotum simply
	bind /mnt/term/mnt/factotum /mnt/factotum

since p9p uses unix domain sockets, it would be a matter of forwarding
the unix domain socket through the ssh tunnel.  i have no idea if that's
done, or possible.  but if it were, it could be a general solution for plumbing,
etc.

also, security implications are left to the reader.  :-).

- erik