* [9fans] 9atom boot, reset when rio starts
@ 2015-11-18 14:24 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2015-11-18 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

I tried to boot plan9, in the incarnations of 9front (on machine 1)
and 9atom (on machine 1 and 2) but did not succeed in either
case. The furthest I got was with 9atom. On machine 1 it booted
(using amd64) as far as I could already see a few rio windows, but
then it suddenly went into reboot by itself. Can anybody comment
on what can go wrong at that point?

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] 9atom boot, reset when rio starts
@ 2015-11-18 15:28 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2015-11-18 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it works fine for me on machine 3.

seriously, what do you expect? its pretty impossible to say
whats wrong without any information on the hardware and what
got printed on the screen.

could be a bad driver. could be acpi issue. could be overheating.

one can usually narrow it down by disabling boot parameters and
bios options in a systematic way.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] 9atom boot, reset when rio starts
@ 2015-11-19  7:20   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2015-11-19  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 18 November 2015 at 16:28,  <cinap_lenrek@felloff.net> wrote:
> it works fine for me on machine 3.

Of course, I myself have 2 other machines where it runs...
What I meant was that when one just picks up a machine at random,
one seems to regularly encounter a problem, regardless if one uses
9atom or 9front (although 9atom usually manages to get through.)

Related to this point is the fact, that, at least for me, it's fairly difficult
to see the differences in ideas (if there are any) of the booting process
between 9front and 9atom. Is there any kind of a summary of ideas?

> seriously, what do you expect? its pretty impossible to say
> whats wrong without any information on the hardware and what
> got printed on the screen.

Well, if one gets to the point I described (with 9atom), it'd be nice
to get some
proposition as to what parameters to pass to sth. in order to not start
rio automatically, for instance. I haven't found the list of the parameters
I could possibly try.

Thanks
Ruda