* Re: [9fans] banishment of nuisance IP addresses
@ 2019-10-29 10:51 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2019-10-29 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

seems tricky with listeners that run as none, no?

so your banish files would need to be world writable in this
case, no? that means everyone can just lock you out of your
box by writing a line there...

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] banishment of nuisance IP addresses
@ 2019-10-29 11:26 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2019-10-29 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

re: anyone can banish ano IP address

You are quite right, not a problem for me, but not a general solution.

Ok, chmod og-w /lib/ndb/banished first.

I could then write a file server, envoked in cpurc as bootes and thus
has rights to update the files in /lib/ndb/banished/*.

The file server would have to ensure its /srv/xxx file is not accessable
by others.

This could be mounted by the network listners before they becomenone() so
they retain access. They would also need to ensure they unmount
the writable access to the banishment directory before starting their
child process (if the incomming connection is successful).

ugh. Even _if_ that would work its a real pain.

oh well, nice idea, but no bananna.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] banishment of nuisance IP addresses
@ 2019-11-05 10:02   ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2019-11-05 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I wonder .... if it will be system with IPv6 enabled and connected directly
to internet.
There is no fw in plan 9 ....
May be time to think about it ?

вт, 29 окт. 2019 г. в 14:27, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:

> re: anyone can banish ano IP address
>
> You are quite right, not a problem for me, but not a general solution.
>
> Ok, chmod og-w /lib/ndb/banished first.
>
> I could then write a file server, envoked in cpurc as bootes and thus
> has rights to update the files in /lib/ndb/banished/*.
>
> The file server would have to ensure its /srv/xxx file is not accessable
> by others.
>
> This could be mounted by the network listners before they becomenone() so
> they retain access. They would also need to ensure they unmount
> the writable access to the banishment directory before starting their
> child process (if the incomming connection is successful).
>
> ugh. Even _if_ that would work its a real pain.
>
> oh well, nice idea, but no bananna.
>
> -Steve

С наилучшими пожеланиями
Жилкин Сергей
With best regards
Zhilkin Sergey

* Re: [9fans] banishment of nuisance IP addresses
@ 2019-11-05 10:05     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2019-11-05 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

no “fw” not sure what that is.

as it happens i turned off ipv6 last night. it was causing problems with smtp which i fail to understand, maybe tls certificate, i am not sure.

the banishment code works fine for ipv6

-Steve

@ 2019-11-05 16:28       ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2019-11-05 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>no “fw” not sure what that is.
firewall :)

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями
Жилкин Сергей

* Re: [9fans] banishment of nuisance IP addresses
@ 2019-10-29  9:56 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-10-29  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

from just your description i like how you rely on the filesystem to
store the state, which seems to make it trivial to split multiple
tasks into multiple programs :)