* [9fans] 9atom - odd error during build phase
@ 2016-10-30  3:21 James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2016-10-30  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi folks,

I've put together the parts for the CPU unit that I want to
use as a fileserver.  I haven't gotten the parts for the actual
disk array yet, but the machine got a local SSD in it and
I figured that would be good enough to at least install
a standalone system on.

This is on a Supermicro X7SPA-H-D525 (so an Intel Atom
D525 CPU). I booted this system using the 9termd kernel,
the amd64 choice, since the Intel Atom D525 has a
64-bit instruction set.

I booted the 9atom USB image, and worked my way through
the install procedure.  On the phase for building the amd64
binaries I see it gets to the point of trying to build a binary
for win and it is failing:

6l -o 6.out fs.6 main.6 pipe.6 util.6 win.6 /amd64/lib/lib9p.a
??none??: fs.6: opcode out of range 0
        probably not a .6 file
mk: 6l -o ... : exit status=rc 7719: 6l 7721: error
mk: @{cd bin/source; mk ... : exit status=rc 7693: rc 7695: mk 7697: error
mk: date for (i ... : exit status=rc 631: rc 7690: mk 7692: error

and then throws up the halt prompt.

I halted the system and could see that I was able to boot off
the SSD fossil partition.  It let me log in (as glenda).  I went
to /sys/src and ran mk to see if it threw out the same error
and it did not, it linked 6.out properly and proceeded building
the rest of the source tree.

Anyone know what might have caused a failure like that?
My uneducated guess would be that it maybe hit a problem
writing data on the usb stick I was booting off of (it appeared
to me that it was using the usb stick instead of the filesystem
created during the install to run the compile).

Jim