* [9fans] Acme real estate on 15" macbook pro?
@ 2013-10-02 16:17 James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2013-10-02 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

How many of you folks run Acme directly on the screen of a 15"
macbook pro?  I've been using the 17" macbook pro for years, but
Apple has dropped that size, so if I get a replacement it'll have
to be smaller.

Right now I'm using the 17" at 1920x1200 and running Acme is ok at
3 columns, but I notice that the 15" can scale to 2880x1800.   Earlier
discussions between Marius and Russ indicate decent if not yet
perfect support for the higher resolution.  Do any of you use Acme
regularly at high resolution on those laptops?

Jim

* Re: [9fans] Acme real estate on 15" macbook pro?
@ 2013-10-02 17:02 ` marius a. eriksen
From: marius a. eriksen @ 2013-10-02 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jimr, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I use a 13” rMBP at the highest resolution setting. I run acme with 3 columns (though the leftmost column is a shrunk column that’s really only useful for directory browsing).

The only annoyance is that I regularly connect to an external display, which requires me to restart acme. Instead of messing with -f, -F flags, I make dumps (which store font settings). I restart acme with

	acme -l lodpi.dump
	acme -l hidpi.dump

depending on where I am.

@ 2013-10-02 20:43   ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2013-10-02 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM, marius a. eriksen <marius@monkey.org> wrote:
> I use a 13” rMBP at the highest resolution setting. I run acme with 3 columns (though the leftmost column is a shrunk column that’s really only useful for directory browsing).
>
> The only annoyance is that I regularly connect to an external display, which requires me to restart acme. Instead of messing with -f, -F flags, I make dumps (which store font settings). I restart acme with
>
>         acme -l lodpi.dump
>         acme -l hidpi.dump
>
> depending on where I am.

I do something similar myself:

% whatis D
fn D { acme -l $home/lib/acme/$* }

As far as screen real-estate goes I have a similar function which sets
up a base set of windows in rio:

% whatis W
fn W { . $home/lib/rio/$* }

lib/rio contains files created via wloc. These are really small
things, but speeds login considerably on my laptop, especially since I
use a couple of different monitors with different resolutions.

(I've also dealt with the sizing issue by getting used to smaller
fonts and buying bigger monitors. vera/unicode.12.font and
veramo/unicode.12.font work very well for me)

Cheers,

Steve

* Re: [9fans] Acme real estate on 15" macbook pro?
@ 2013-10-03  9:09     ` Enrique Soriano
From: Enrique Soriano @ 2013-10-03  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I use Acme with three columns (fullscreen) and the default fonts on my
Macbook Pro 15" retina with the maximum "scaled resolution" (looks
like 1920x1200). IMHO it's perfect.

Regards.

@ 2013-10-04 18:21       ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2013-10-04 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)