* [9fans] NEC building Raspberry Pi 3s into its displays
@ 2016-10-15  2:15 Jim Robinson
From: Jim Robinson @ 2016-10-15  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Interesting, I wonder if this could let someone use one
as a plan 9 terminal:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nec-raspberry-pi-3/

* Re: [9fans] NEC building Raspberry Pi 3s into its displays
@ 2016-10-15  9:10 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2016-10-15  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Actually it's a rpi compute module (not a pi3) - for more accurate
description see http://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/compute-module-nec-display-near-you
The displays are 40 - 98 inch so probably not what you want on your desk.

Whether plan 9 could run on it depends on NEC documenting the
peripherals on their proprietary carrier board that the compute
module plugs into.

* Re: [9fans] NEC building Raspberry Pi 3s into its displays
@ 2016-10-15 13:19   ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2016-10-15 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ah, that's too bad.  I suppose there's nothing to prevent
someone from getting a VESA mount enclosure and
just bolting onto the back of a monitor of their choice,
but it'd have been kind of neat to just buy a monitor
w/ rpi like you can pick up an imac. :)

@ 2016-10-15 15:40     ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2016-10-15 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Funny you mention that - my terminal downstairs is exactly that. It's
an rpi in a VESA enclosure mounted to the back of a lenovo monitor.
Highly recommended!

@ 2016-10-18 15:53 ` Michael Kockmeyer
From: Michael Kockmeyer @ 2016-10-18 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm seeing that the PI is getting lot's of attention here on 9fans.

I use a Fujitsu thin client as terminal. These (and other vendors) can
be bought on ebay extremly cheaply (half the price of a PI or cheaper),
have nice case, Gigabit ethernet, enough USB ports, decent cpu power,
replaceable and upgradable ram and a PCI slot.

@ 2016-10-18 16:44   ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2016-10-18 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs