* Re: [9fans] Changing the active NIC on 9front
@ 2014-02-18  1:04 Michael Hansen
From: Michael Hansen @ 2014-02-18  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> if it was a snake, it would have bit you.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/KnownWorkingHardware#Lucent_WaveLAN_PC24E-H-FC

Thanks, but I already have the card configured to connect an access
point, as established by both the output of sysinfo and the log of the
access point.

What I need to know is how to get the IP stack to use the wavelan card
instead of the built-in wired nic.

* Re: [9fans] Changing the active NIC on 9front
@ 2014-02-18  2:22 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-18  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Feb 17 20:05:50 EST 2014, mmhansen@gmail.com wrote:

> > if it was a snake, it would have bit you.
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/KnownWorkingHardware#Lucent_WaveLAN_PC24E-H-FC
> >

> Thanks, but I already have the card configured to connect an access
> point, as established by both the output of sysinfo and the log of the
> access point.
>
> What I need to know is how to get the IP stack to use the wavelan card
> instead of the built-in wired nic.

i think that plan9.ini(8) should be of some help.  usually the incantation
is
	ether0=type=<type>

where type is in /sys/src/9/pc/ether<>.c's call to addethercard().

9atom will automaticly assign ether0 if you pxe boot.  but i think that's
a unique feature.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Changing the active NIC on 9front
@ 2014-02-18  2:39 ` Michael Hansen
From: Michael Hansen @ 2014-02-18  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2/17/14, Michael Hansen <mmhansen@gmail.com> wrote:

>> if it was a snake, it would have bit you.
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/KnownWorkingHardware#Lucent_WaveLAN_PC24E-H-FC

FACEPALM. You're right. Missed the zero after ether.

* Re: [9fans] Changing the active NIC on 9front
@ 2014-02-17 11:51 ` Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2014-02-17 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

if it was a snake, it would have bit you.

http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/KnownWorkingHardware#Lucent_WaveLAN_PC24E-H-FC

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 851 bytes --]

* [9fans] Changing the active NIC on 9front
@ 2014-02-17 11:47 Michael Hansen
From: Michael Hansen @ 2014-02-17 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,
I picked-up an old Thinkpad T23 and a Lucent Wavelan PC24E-H-FC,
hoping to use it when I'm out of the house. My Wavelan card seems to
connect to the WAP fine, after I configured it based on the plan9.ini
man page. However, I haven't figured-out which documentation to
consult regarding how to point the IP stack at the Wavelan card
instead of the Thinkpad's integrated wired nic. I've read some
archived posts on this list regarding alternate namespaces for two
interfaces, but that doesn't seem to be quite the same problem. I
don't intend to make any use of the integrated nic, but the MAC
address for that nic is the one which appears in /lib/ndb/local.
Swapping that MAC address with the Wavelan's seems to simply cause the
machine's $sysname to revert to Cirno. (Not that there's anything
wrong with Cirno, but that change doesn't seem to have brought me any
closer to a solution.) I'd try the dual nic, dual namespace option,
but I don't think I understand how namespaces work well enough to pull
it off, yet.

If it matters, this machine isn't meant to depend on my cpu/auth
server, and the caching DNS servers I plan to use seem to be
accessible from all the networks to which I intend to connect it.

I'd really appreciate help understanding what I need to change, or
links to what I need to read.