* [9fans] Dotfiles
@ 2004-04-25 20:35 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-04-25 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've removed Dotfiles from the acme sources in CVS.

In return, I have fixed mc to work correctly in
the presence of variable-width fonts.  The new
mc is in the ports CVS and also on sources.

The better mc makes it easy to write a shell
script to take the place of Dotfiles.
There is such a shell script in the CVS repository
as "Getdir".  It not only removes dot files but
also o.* and *.o.

Best of all, lc finally looks good inside a win
session.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Dotfiles
@ 2005-01-03  5:40 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-01-03  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, kvchokw02

> I posted this to comp.os.plan9 in October and got no reply, but
> apparently the usenet to 9fans gateway hasn't been working.

It rarely works.

> This seems like a very nice solution, but Getdir doesn't appear to "work
> correctly in the presences of variable-width fonts" for me.
>
> I'm running
>
> acme -f $PLAN9/font/lucidasans/unicode.6.font -F
> $PLAN9/font/lucidasans/typeunicode.6.font
>
> and when I type Getdir into the tag of my home directory and B2 on it,
> all dot file are eliminated (yippee), but the second column of file
> names doesn't line up. If I execute Font to switch to a fixed width
> font, the second column of file names does line up.
>
> Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

What an embarrassing bug.  For now, change the char buf[128]
in acme/xfid.c's xfidread to char buf[256] and recompile acme.
I will put in a better fix later.

Thanks for the report.
Russ

* Re: [9fans] Dotfiles
@ 2005-01-03  5:12 kvchokw02
From: kvchokw02 @ 2005-01-03  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:43:48 +0000, Russ Cox wrote:

> I've removed Dotfiles from the acme sources in CVS.

> In return, I have fixed mc to work correctly in the presence of
> variable-width fonts. The new mc is in the ports CVS and also on
> sources.

> The better mc makes it easy to write a shell script to take the place
of
> Dotfiles. There is such a shell script in the CVS repository as
> "Getdir". It not only removes dot files but also o.* and *.o.

> Best of all, lc finally looks good inside a win session.

> Russ

This seems like a very nice solution, but Getdir doesn't appear to "work
correctly in the presences of variable-width fonts" for me.

I'm running

acme -f $PLAN9/font/lucidasans/unicode.6.font -F
$PLAN9/font/lucidasans/typeunicode.6.font

and when I type Getdir into the tag of my home directory and B2 on it,
all dot file are eliminated (yippee), but the second column of file
names doesn't line up. If I execute Font to switch to a fixed width
font, the second column of file names does line up.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

- Peter Canning