* [9fans] Running Plan9 under Virtual PC
@ 2001-08-19  0:43 Vincent van Gelderen
From: Vincent van Gelderen @ 2001-08-19  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello 9fans,

This may help people who are trying to
run Plan9, but find their hardware is
not supported.

Connectix has a product called Virtual PC,
which may be of help here. It is something
very much like VMWare. I've heard about
people trying to run plan9 under VMWare,
but not (fully?) succeeding. Probably
because of VGA troubles.

So trying to install plan9 under VPC seemed
a natural move, one which I've tried today.
It basically works, although I did not run any
real checks (other than run acme).

Advantages:

More people can run plan9 now, or at
least try it once.

You could run more than one installation
at a time on the same PC.

Disadvantages:

Everything is much slower, the install
on my PII-450 took over four hours.

Virtual PC costs $199, and the trial
period seems to have ended.

Conclusion:

It certainly does no harm to try, and I
can think of several meaningful applications
(laptop fileserver, painless install at work),
but I personally will never remove my real Plan9
setup in lieu of this emulated version.

Connectix lives at http://www.connectix.com

I do a bit of explaining at my own site http://www.home.zonnet.nl/v-i-n-z/
which to some may be too terse, and for others more verbose.

Tips for the savvy:

Include 0xC00B5="VERSION 100" in TRIO64 section of /lib/vgadb
Delete partdisk's suggestions and do: a p1 63 2056320 (1GB should be ample)

Have fun!
Vincent

* Re: [9fans] Running Plan9 under Virtual PC
@ 2001-08-22 21:28     ` Matthew Hannigan
From: Matthew Hannigan @ 2001-08-22 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Anyone tried or want to try plex86 or bochs?

* RE: [9fans] Running Plan9 under Virtual PC
@ 2001-08-22  8:31   ` Vincent van Gelderen
From: Vincent van Gelderen @ 2001-08-22  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I wrote:
> It would also explain why you can only
> let one guest PC be active at the same
> time.

Wrong, this is configurable. Someday I'll
read the manual before blurbing...

This makes VPC immensely more useful.
But it still won't replace the real thang.

Regards,

@ 2001-08-19 10:22 ` Vincent van Gelderen
From: Vincent van Gelderen @ 2001-08-19 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans