* [9fans] plan9.iso
@ 2013-01-01 15:30 Gert de Best
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Gert de Best @ 2013-01-01 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

I am new to plan 9, so please be patient.

I did try to use the plan9.iso (dec 18) to  use the livecd option and to install plan 9 (via virtualbox) , but I failed.
When I start the cd it looks as if the floppy boot starts, but can't find the cd part.
(see image)

I also tried the stormfront image which gave no problems.

Can someone confirm that the image is corrupt or does anyone know how to fix this?
Is there a possibility to download an older image?

Cheers.
Gert.

[-- Attachment #2: Knipsel.PNG --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 25833 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] plan9.iso
@ 2013-01-01 15:46 ` erik quanstrom
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-01-01 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

from the image, it seems that the problem isn't finding
the partition.  it just senselessly tries to open #S/sdC0/9fat
which isn't there.

if that's as far as it got, it looks like the kernel is wedging
early in main().

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plan9.iso
@ 2013-01-01 16:25 ` Bakul Shah
       [not found] ` <1E5BC53D-2C11-4B2F-9BC5-3F173AEA7D83@gmail.com>
From: Bakul Shah @ 2013-01-01 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 16:30:03 +0100 Gert de Best <bmartes@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to plan 9, so please be patient.
>
> I did try to use the plan9.iso (dec 18) to  use the livecd option and to
> install plan 9 (via virtualbox) , but I failed.
> When I start the cd it looks as if the floppy boot starts, but can't find
> the cd part.
> (see image)

Are you referring to the Live CD/DVD setting in VirtualBox
when you add plan9.iso as a "CD"? If so, unselect that.

> I also tried the stormfront image which gave no problems.
>
> Can someone confirm that the image is corrupt or does anyone know how to fix
> this?
> Is there a possibility to download an older image?
>
> Cheers.
> Gert.

Did you follow the instructions in here?

http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/virtual_machines/index.html

I just tried them with the latest .iso and everything worked fine.

* Re: [9fans] plan9.iso
@ 2013-01-01 18:31 ` sl
       [not found] ` <1E5BC53D-2C11-4B2F-9BC5-3F173AEA7D83@gmail.com>
From: sl @ 2013-01-01 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I also tried the stormfront image which gave no problems.

This seems unlikely.

-sl

* Re: [9fans] plan9.iso
@ 2013-01-01 18:59   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2013-01-01 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this was not a storm! a *WAVE* hit it!

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] plan9.iso
       [not found] ` <1E5BC53D-2C11-4B2F-9BC5-3F173AEA7D83@gmail.com>
@ 2013-01-01 22:12   ` Gert de Best
From: Gert de Best @ 2013-01-01 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

thanks for the reply. I also went back to virtualbox 4.1.18. Installation is running now.
version 4.2.6 and 4.2.2 gives a problem.

I missed the instruction page, but virtualbox was the problem.

Gert.

Subject: Re: [9fans] plan9.iso
From: californiaelectric@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 11:06:51 -0800
To: bmartes@hotmail.com

Is this on a mac? If so, I noticed the identical behavior on my systems after I updated virtual box to they latest version they were nagging me about.
I found the "previous builds" page for virtual box, downloaded my previous version, 4.1.18 and everything worked again.
Go figure,
Greg

Sent from my iPhone
On Jan 1, 2013, at 7:30 AM, Gert de Best <bmartes@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I am new to plan 9, so please be patient.

I did try to use the plan9.iso (dec 18) to  use the livecd option and to install plan 9 (via virtualbox) , but I failed.
When I start the cd it looks as if the floppy boot starts, but can't find the cd part.
(see image)

I also tried the stormfront image which gave no problems.

Can someone confirm that the image is corrupt or does anyone know how to fix this?
Is there a possibility to download an older image?

Cheers.
Gert.

<Knipsel.PNG>

* Re: [9fans] plan9.iso
@ 2014-05-25  0:57 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-05-25  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat May 24 20:07:37 EDT 2014, jas@corpus-callosum.com wrote:
> Has anyone else had trouble getting recent plan9.iso’s to boot?
> I can get it to boot from sdE1!9fat!9pcflop.gz, but once the
> install starts it fails to recognize any sdE? devices that
> should up shortly on the console.

this was a prime motivator to put together 9atom in the first place.

- erik

* [9fans] plan9.iso
@ 2014-05-25  0:05 Jeff Sickel