* [9fans] Running plan9 within Hyper-V
@ 2014-03-12 10:30 Nigel Derbyshire
From: Nigel Derbyshire @ 2014-03-12 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Was planning to have a stab at running / using plan9 and am struggling to find compatible hardware (I want to use a laptop). Anyway, I have a win8.1 pro laptop and though about using Hyper-V as the VM for running plan9. I was just wondering if I was being an idiot for even attempting it (the Hyper-V bit, not the plan9 bit!) ?

Any advice welcome.

I'm a seasoned (old?) C programming of over 25years, so if I can get it all up and running then I'm sure I can contribute too. I've also got a RPi so will probably also install onto that as well.

--
Nigel / nad6234

* Re: [9fans] Running plan9 within Hyper-V
@ 2014-03-12 14:38 ` Patrick Kelly
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2014-03-12 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs'

>Hi,
>
>Was planning to have a stab at running / using plan9 and am struggling to find compatible hardware (I want to use a laptop). Anyway, I have a win8.1 pro laptop and though about using Hyper-V as the VM for running plan9. I was just wondering if I was being an idiot >for even attempting it (the Hyper-V bit, not the plan9 bit!) ?
>
>Any advice welcome.

To the best of my ability, I could never get it running on either Win 8.1 or WinServer 2012r2's Hyper-V, regardless of Gen1 or Gen2. Microsoft made changes to the platform, because it was possible back in the Win 7 era.

* Re: [9fans] Running plan9 within Hyper-V
@ 2014-03-15  7:55   ` Nigel Derbyshire
From: Nigel Derbyshire @ 2014-03-15  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> From: p-kell@live.com
> To: 9fans@9fans.net
> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:38:42 -0400
> Subject: Re: [9fans] Running plan9 within Hyper-V
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Was planning to have a stab at running / using plan9 and am struggling to find compatible hardware (I want to use a laptop). Anyway, I have a win8.1 pro laptop and though about using Hyper-V as the VM for running plan9. I was just wondering if I was being an idiot>for even attempting it (the Hyper-V bit, not the plan9 bit!) ?
>>
>>Any advice welcome.
>
> To the best of my ability, I could never get it running on either Win 8.1 or WinServer 2012r2's Hyper-V, regardless of Gen1 or Gen2. Microsoft made changes to the platform, because it was possible back in the Win 7 era.

I agree that Microsoft made a load of changes in Hyper-V, it was just that qemu is a bit of an unknown. Anyway, have now got qemu running nicely on me Win8 machine and am in the process of installing Plan9 onto it :-)

--
Nigel