* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on notebooks
@ 2000-11-10 17:36 nigel
From: nigel @ 2000-11-10 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

When you say that manufacturers rarely give out details, that's only half true.
Most now tell you the graphics chip, since this is a matter for comparision.
They certainly are less forthcoming on such things as pcmcia controllers.

Of course, Linux and FreeBSD are booted on these devices, so there are
loads of web pages for how to get Xfree and *nix running on laptops which do tell
you the hardware in detail of each model.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1865 bytes --]

From: "John A. Murdie" <john@cs.york.ac.uk>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu, john@cs.york.ac.uk
Subject: [9fans] Plan 9 on notebooks
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:27:23 +0000

Is the `Plan 9 from Bell Labs - supported PC hardware' page
(http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/pchardware.html) the whole
story, particularly on the subject of Plan 9 on notebooks? The
August 2000 FAQ (the latest I've seen) says nothing more. I'd
rather like Plan 9 on a notebook.

There are various companies over here (the UK) who sell second-hand
notebooks - Morgan Computers (www.morgancomputers.co.uk) is best known
to me, but e.g their second-hand IBM ThinkPads are - I think - all more
recent than those in the Plan 9 hardware list (365, 760, 760XL, 770
versus 560, 560E, 560X, 570 and 600E).

I'm aware of the general problem; notebook manufacturers rarely give
out details of their hardware.

John A. Murdie

* [9fans] Plan 9 on notebooks
@ 2000-11-10 17:27 John A. Murdie