* Re: [9fans] the computing press [was ... wet paper bag ...]
@ 2001-06-13  8:24 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2001-06-13  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i suspect we are more worried about ending up in the computing press
> with ``vita nuova provides evil crackers with yet another nasty gateway into ...''.

One could argue that bad publicity is better than no publicity at all.  The
blindness of the computing press towards Plan 9 and Inferno is depressing.  Take, for
example, this article -
  http://www.business2.com/magazine/2001/06/java_renaissance.htm
which claims that
  "Java is unparalleled as a language for distributed applications because it was
  built around Internet protocols, rather than bolting them on, and is more secure
  than firewalls alone when a networked machine needs to access remote resources
  or "share" resources remotely."
and that
  "For all its problems, Java is still the leader in cross-device interoperability,
  running on everything from servers to cell phones and set-tops. If a programmer
  wants to write code to run on multiple devices, the only other choice on the
  horizon is Microsoft's promised .NET architecture, which is still a long way off. "

A few lurid cracker stories might at least make journalists aware of our existence.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-06-13  8:24 UTC | newest]