* [9fans] RE: stall on boot disk
@ 2002-01-18 17:21 iwanek
From: iwanek @ 2002-01-18 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
> ELCR: 0E00
> using fd0!dos!plan9.ini
>
> the floppy stops spinning at that
> point, but the in use light stays
> on.

Some suggestions.

Make sure you can read the boot floppy on another machine.

If you have two floppy drives, disable the second one, or
better yet, remove it.

Boot with DOS, then use ld.com to first boot 9load (you'll
have to extract ld.com from plan9.9gz; it's in /386).

If you have a FAT partition, put everything on the floppy to
that FAT and do it from there, again DOS -> ld.com ->9load.
You'll have to chage plan9.ini accordingly.

- kazumi

* Re: [9fans] RE: stall on boot disk
@ 2002-01-18 20:32 ` justin
From: justin @ 2002-01-18 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

thanks, I can read the floppy (I'd tried that and neglected to mention it)
I tried even taking out the cdrom, still nothing. I'll try your dos boot
suggestion. again, thanks.

In article <50F591D39557D511B12C0090274DCEBC03AD7764@noanet03.noanet.nttdata.co.jp> you wrote:
>> PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
>> ELCR: 0E00
>> using fd0!dos!plan9.ini
>>
>> the floppy stops spinning at that
>> point, but the in use light stays
>> on.

> Some suggestions.

> Make sure you can read the boot floppy on another machine.

> If you have two floppy drives, disable the second one, or
> better yet, remove it.

> Boot with DOS, then use ld.com to first boot 9load (you'll
> have to extract ld.com from plan9.9gz; it's in /386).

> If you have a FAT partition, put everything on the floppy to
> that FAT and do it from there, again DOS -> ld.com ->9load.
> You'll have to chage plan9.ini accordingly.

> - kazumi

* [9fans] Re: stall on boot disk
@ 2002-01-18 15:10 ` Chen Xinhe
From: Chen Xinhe @ 2002-01-18 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think that the first thing you need to do is
to read the file http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/install.html.
May be you have done .So you'd better give more information about your hardware,
and send it to 9trouble@plan9.bell-labs.com with detail information about
your PC hardware .
The clue may be useful to you .

chen