* [9fans] Hans Reiser paper on name spaces in operating systems
@ 2002-01-29 18:22 John Murdie
From: John Murdie @ 2002-01-29 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: John Murdie

For those people who haven't seen this already: a paper by Hans Reiser
(of Reiser File System fame) called ``The Naming System Venture''. It
briefly mentions Plan 9.

http://www.namesys.com/whitepaper.html

--

John A. Murdie
Experimental Officer (Software)

* Re: [9fans] Hans Reiser paper on name spaces in operating systems
@ 2002-01-29 18:53 ` Alexander Viro
From: Alexander Viro @ 2002-01-29 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: John Murdie

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, John Murdie wrote:

> For those people who haven't seen this already: a paper by Hans Reiser
> (of Reiser File System fame) called ``The Naming System Venture''. It
> briefly mentions Plan 9.

... and happens to be illiterate.

* Re: [9fans] Hans Reiser paper on name spaces in operating systems
@ 2002-01-31  0:32   ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2002-01-31  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > For those people who haven't seen this already: a paper by Hans Reiser
> > (of Reiser File System fame) called ``The Naming System Venture''.

> ... and happens to be illiterate.

I've heard of bit rot but ....

 A Naming System Should Reflect Rather than Mold Structure

* Re: [9fans] Hans Reiser paper on name spaces in operating systems
@ 2002-01-31  0:50     ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2002-01-31  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 00:32 31/01/2002 +0000, you wrote:

>> > For those people who haven't seen this already: a paper by Hans Reiser
>> > (of Reiser File System fame) called ``The Naming System Venture''.
>
>> ... and happens to be illiterate.
>
>I've heard of bit rot but ....
>
> A Naming System Should Reflect Rather than Mold Structure

Perhaps it was translated from the original German by the Google
translation engine?

* Re: [9fans] Hans Reiser paper on name spaces in operating systems
@ 2002-02-01  9:57   ` ozan s yigit
From: ozan s yigit @ 2002-02-01  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

viro@math.psu.edu (Alexander Viro) writes:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, John Murdie wrote:
>
> > For those people who haven't seen this already: a paper by Hans Reiser
> > (of Reiser File System fame) called ``The Naming System Venture''. It
> > briefly mentions Plan 9.
>
> ... and happens to be illiterate.

is this an undergrad document? it is very strange. the dialogue is a nice
idea, but one should read at least the kerberos dialogue (or go to the real
authority, plato) to learn how to do it... hobbes is right. :)

oz
---
www.cs.yorku.ca/~oz	 | if you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe
york u. computer science | we'll just have to make some!   -- hobbes

* Re: [9fans] Hans Reiser paper on name spaces in operating  systems
@ 2002-02-01 12:15       ` patric keller
From: patric keller @ 2002-02-01 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

andrew@mbmnz.co.nz (Andrew Simmons) wrote in message news:<3.0.6.32.20020131135040.0097d560@pop3.clear.net.nz>...

> >> ... and happens to be illiterate.
> >
> >I've heard of bit rot but ....
> >
> > A Naming System Should Reflect Rather than Mold Structure

> Perhaps it was translated from the original German by the Google
> translation engine?

("[...] a description of vaporware.")

nah, don't blame google for that. this 'paper' is just weird.

pat

* [9fans] Hans Reiser paper on name spaces in operating systems
@ 2002-02-16 22:43 ` Richard Uhtenwoldt
From: Richard Uhtenwoldt @ 2002-02-16 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

John Murdie writes:
>For those people who haven't seen this already: a paper by Hans Reiser
>(of Reiser File System fame) called ``The Naming System Venture''. It
>briefly mentions Plan 9.
>
>http://www.namesys.com/whitepaper.html

 From that paper:
   [Plan 9's] major focus is on integration.

   Their major trick for increasing integration is unifying the name
   space.

   Name spaces integrated into the Plan 9 file system include the status,
   control, virtual memory, and environment variables of running
   processes. They have a hierarchical analog to what the relational
   culture calls constructing views, that the Plan 9 culture calls
   context binding.

Huh?  Can anyone define "context binding"?

googling on "plan 9" and "context binding" gives no joy, and

$ cd ~/mail_lists_archived
$ grep -i 'context bind' plan9*
$ cat plan9* | wc
 750695 3857580 32044532

* Re: [9fans] Hans Reiser paper on name spaces in operating systems
@ 2002-02-17 14:47   ` Theo Honohan
From: Theo Honohan @ 2002-02-17 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: theoh

Richard Uhtenwoldt wrote:
> John Murdie writes:
> >For those people who haven't seen this already: a paper by Hans Reiser
> >(of Reiser File System fame) called ``The Naming System Venture''. It
> >briefly mentions Plan 9.
> >
> >http://www.namesys.com/whitepaper.html
>
> >From that paper:
>    [Plan 9's] major focus is on integration.
>
>    Their major trick for increasing integration is unifying the name
>    space.
>
>    Name spaces integrated into the Plan 9 file system include the status,
>    control, virtual memory, and environment variables of running
>    processes. They have a hierarchical analog to what the relational
>    culture calls constructing views, that the Plan 9 culture calls
>    context binding.
>
> Huh?  Can anyone define "context binding"?

Maybe Reiser is just qualifying the term binding with a parenthetical
"context" in order give it an object-- as the database people
construct views, Plan 9 people bind (what?).  I agree that's its sloppy
writing.

Googling for "context plan 9 " brings up a paper about naming policies
in Sun's Spring system, which appears to define and use "context" in
an appropriate sense.  So, maybe that's where he got it from.

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/73091.html

* Re: [9fans] Hans Reiser paper on name spaces in operating systems
@ 2002-02-17 14:53     ` Theo Honohan
From: Theo Honohan @ 2002-02-17 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: theoh, theoh

Theo Honohan wrote:

> Googling for "context plan 9 " brings up a paper about naming policies
> in Sun's Spring system, which appears to define and use "context" in
> an appropriate sense.  So, maybe that's where he got it from.
>
> http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/73091.html

Digging deeper, it looks like this usage comes from an older paper by
Saltzer:

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/nbib/6014040

Someone much older than me will now explain properly.

* Re: [9fans] Hans Reiser paper on name spaces in operating systems
@ 2002-01-30 11:39 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-01-30 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Good thing Hans was specified.  I was thinking John F. Reiser.

What is he doing now?

* Re: [9fans] Hans Reiser paper on name spaces in operating systems
@ 2002-01-29 19:15 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-01-29 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Plan 9 has influenced CORBA?
it doesn't show.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1898 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Cc: John Murdie <john@cs.york.ac.uk>
Subject: [9fans] Hans Reiser paper on name spaces in operating systems