* [9fans] networking troubles
@ 2002-05-03 21:20 Michael Warnock
From: Michael Warnock @ 2002-05-03 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings,

I posted the following to the wiki wishlist before I discovered this mailing list.  I hope I'm not being overly redundant, but
I'm quite excited about learning plan9 and my networking troubles have stood in the way since the 27th

 *	How does one test whether the network connection is up? ip/ping?
 *	Does 'ip/ipconfig ether /net/ether0 unbind' set the card to a
	state where it can be reassigned with 'ip/ipconfig -g ga.te.way.addr
	ether /net/ether0 ip.a.d.dr net.m.a.sk' or is there more to do?
 *	Must the first server on the network (which will be the dhcp and
	auth server) set it's ip in /rc/bin/termrc (or cpurc) or can a well
	formed /ndb/local assign it?
 *	If after assigning the ip in /rc/bin/termrc and not getting a
	"cant look up my ip" error from /ndb/dns, one can't ip/ping anything
	what are the possible problems?

I've done two complete installs on different boxes. The first on the 27th with an athlon/netgear 310/geforce2 and
yesterday with a pII/lynksys (tulip chip)/geforce2.  The first install downloaded the iso, the second one just stalled out
and I wound up making a CD.  I can see the kernel recognize the network card (#l0) on both machines, but have yet to
sucessfully ping any ips.

Michael Warnock
Artificial Life Programmer - InOrbit Entertainment Inc.
Total hard disk crash - O pestilence!
Now is the winter of our disk contents!

* Re: [9fans] networking troubles
@ 2002-05-04 19:09 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-04 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Here follows the results of 'cat
> /net/iproute' , laboriously typed in by memory walking between rooms:

Paper and pencil is your friend.  :-)

Basically, /lib/ndb only gets used for lookups.  Getting to
the point where you can ping your gateway doesn't use ndb
at all.

You can ping yourself, so your address is set up right.

What does "netstat -i" print?

Also, you might try "cat /net/arp" after you
try pinging your gateway.  If you see an OK
line for it, then we got the arp response;
if you see a WAIT, we're still waiting.

I'm starting to get suspicious of your
ethernet card itself though -- perhaps we've
not set up the interrupts right and aren't
receiving packets at all.

try "cat /net/ether0/0/stats".  Out minus in
should be non-zero.  Also, running "snoopy"
while you do stuff should show you packets
other than the ones from your computer.
If not, then we're almost certainly botching
the card setup.

What kind of ethernet card are you using?

Russ

* Re: [9fans] networking troubles
@ 2002-05-04 18:52 Michael Warnock
From: Michael Warnock @ 2002-05-04 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks for the help so far:)

>perhaps your routing table is wrong.
>
>cat /net/iproute
>
>try pinging yourself.  that should work
>as long as the ip interface is set up,
>independent of routing.

Indeed, I can ping myself. I'd tried that a while back and it didn't work, but I guess I got past another problem.  My
network is a cider block- netmask 255.255.255.224, but I've tried .0 as well.  Here follows the results of 'cat
/net/iproute' , laboriously typed in by memory walking between rooms:
64.2.27.8 is meant to be my ip and .1, my gateway

0.0.0.0		/96	64.2.27.1		4	none	-
64.0.0.0		/128	64.0.0.0		4b	ifc	-
64.2.27.0		/123	64.2.27.0		4i	ifc	0
64.2.27.0		/128	64.2.27.0		4b	ifc	-
64.2.27.8		/128	64.2.27.8		4u	ifc	0
64.2.27.31	/128	64.2.27.31	4b	ifc	-
64.255.255.255	/128	64.255.255.255	4b	ifc	-
255.255.255.255	/128	255.255.255.255	4b	ifc	-

I've removed my changes to /lib/ndb/local and booted with the following ip config line in my termrc and no other
configuration related to ip (as far as I know)

ip/ipconfig -g 64.2.27.1 ether /net/ether0 64.2.27.8 255.255.255.224

As I said, I've tried .0 on the end of my netmask as well and I still cant ping my gateway or .3 which is on the same hub.

What could I be overlooking?  Do I need something in my /lib/ndb/local?  I've set that file up with a classA section and
the ipsubnet parameter. It all looks the same as the several examples I've read through.

Michael Warnock
Artificial Life Programmer - InOrbit Entertainment Inc.
Wherever you go; &this;

* Re: [9fans] networking troubles
@ 2002-05-04  5:52 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-04  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> *	How does one test whether the network connection is up? ip/ping?

netstat -i
is a good start.

> *	Does 'ip/ipconfig ether /net/ether0 unbind' set the card to a
>	state where it can be reassigned with 'ip/ipconfig -g ga.te.way.addr
>	ether /net/ether0 ip.a.d.dr net.m.a.sk' or is there more to do?

i think so.  to be sure, you can do

	echo -n unbind >/net/ipifc/0/ctl

> *	Must the first server on the network (which will be the dhcp and
>	auth server) set it's ip in /rc/bin/termrc (or cpurc) or can a well
>	formed /ndb/local assign it?

i think you have to set it in termrc or cpurc.
for example, our standalone auth/dhcp server has
two addresses and uses:

# start network
if(test -e /net/ipifc/clone){
	ip/ipconfig -g 135.104.9.1 ether /net/ether0 135.104.9.7 255.255.255.0
	ip/ipconfig ether /net/ether0 add 135.104.9.115 255.255.255.0
}

> *	If after assigning the ip in /rc/bin/termrc and not getting a
>	"cant look up my ip" error from /ndb/dns, one can't ip/ping anything
>	what are the possible problems?

perhaps your routing table is wrong.

cat /net/iproute

try pinging yourself.  that should work