* [9fans] Newbie Charon question
@ 2002-10-02  1:47 Richard Powell
From: Richard Powell @ 2002-10-02  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings,

I downloaded and installed the "binary and limited source" Inferno
distribution, along with the 15 July 2002 update.  I have it up and
running on Plan9 4th Edition and it all seems to work as advertised
except the Charon web browser seems to be an older version than I
expected.  In particular, it only has three text buttons next to the
address bar, back, stop, and next.  There are no buttons for bookmarks
or history.  The browser is functional, I can display web sites.

Have I missed something?  Is there an update or is the newer version
only available in the for cost distributions?

Thanks for the help.

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Charon question
@ 2002-10-02  9:59 ` postmaster
From: postmaster @ 2002-10-02  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No, believe it or not that is the latest version.
Some of the framework (menus, progress etc) isn't
finished off.  But apart from that it does a lot more
than the old version.

I actually prefer the minimal framework.  But I'm sure
many others would prefer all that wizz-bang clutter around
the real information.

Chris.

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Charon question
@ 2002-10-05  8:24 Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2002-10-05  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

don't forget you've got the source.
having waded through references on
citeseer to find the right set, it is annoying
not to be able to save the reference.
i was planning to do something about bookmarks with
a separate program but i hadn't really thought enough
how it would interact with charon (perhaps using plumbing)
and i've got plenty of other things to do sooner,
as does chris, so feel free to have a go.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2534 bytes --]

From: "Richard Powell" <Richard@Powell.name>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Newbie Charon question
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 16:45:08 -0700

<postmaster@cjl1.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> No, believe it or not that is the latest version.
> Some of the framework (menus, progress etc) isn't
> finished off.  But apart from that it does a lot more
> than the old version.
>
> I actually prefer the minimal framework.  But I'm sure
> many others would prefer all that wizz-bang clutter around
> the real information.
>
> Chris.

Thanks for the info.  Mind you, it's not that I like wizz-bang clutter, I
just like using bookmarks :-)  Oh, well.

Richard

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Charon question
@ 2002-10-04 23:45 Richard Powell
From: Richard Powell @ 2002-10-04 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)