* Re: [9fans] pccpu kernel: how to get #S/sdC0/nvram recognized?
@ 2003-11-04 23:24 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-11-04 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Now I'm finding I'm not sure how the bit of magic happens that gets things
> set up so that factotum can find #S/sdC0/nvram. The system comes up and
> sdC0 is there all right, I can 'fdisk -p /dev/sdC0/data > /dev/sdC0/ctl'
> dance and the 'prep -p blah blah' dance and make the nvram partition
> visible -- after it has booted. But while it is booting, factotum has no
> luck in getting to that partition.

9load parses a minimal partition table and leaves it for the kernel.
you need to leave a sdC0part= entry.  i think it's of the form
part name start end / part name start end / ..., but i forget.

russ

* [9fans] pccpu kernel: how to get #S/sdC0/nvram recognized?
@ 2003-11-05  4:33 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-11-05  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have a pccpu kernel. I have got a #S compiled in and working. I can do
things to a compact flash if it is plugged in. Compact flash I/O works
fine.

Now I'm finding I'm not sure how the bit of magic happens that gets things
set up so that factotum can find #S/sdC0/nvram. The system comes up and
sdC0 is there all right, I can 'fdisk -p /dev/sdC0/data > /dev/sdC0/ctl'
dance and the 'prep -p blah blah' dance and make the nvram partition
visible -- after it has booted. But while it is booting, factotum has no
luck in getting to that partition.

On boot, I get the "can't read nvram: #S/sdC0/nvram' does not exist"
error from factotum. What particular thing makes it so that factotum can
find that #S/sdC0/nvram? What do I in the pccpu config file to make this
magic happen? I have not tried this approach before so I am fairly lost,
as you can see.

This is really weird, by the way. I've verified that the contents of CMOS
are good, and that factotum is reading and writing them. But on reboot,
factotum still is unhappy with the authid, after successfully reading the
two items that come before it. I'm not sure what's going on here.

So, I am trying #S/sdC0/nvram, but am hitting this other roadblock.

thanks

ron