* [9fans] Monitor Trouble At 4th Edition Install Disk Bootup (Quick Fix: 3rd Edition Anywhere, Anyone?)
@ 2003-12-08 10:08 Space Beginner
From: Space Beginner @ 2003-12-08 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The monitor trouble are lots and lots of horizontal distortion at
install diskette bootup.  You can see more than five copies of the
installation screen, all of them all set to go and very tempting.  The
3rd edition never caused this problem, and naturally I can't find any
copy I ever had of it.  Monitor card is ATI Xpert98; it appears on the
Bell Labs "worked on 3rd edition, not tried on 4th" list in the
compatibility writeup.  Thanks for the help!  Quite a place here!

* [9fans] Re: Monitor Trouble At 4th Edition Install Disk Bootup (Quick Fix:
@ 2003-12-09  9:37 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2003-12-09  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Space Beginner wrote:
> ... Monitor card is ATI Xpert98;

There were many variations of hardware sold under that name,
not all of them supported by the Plan9 ATI driver.  Seeing
the image split into multiple vertical stripes like that is
the usual symptom.  Unless you can get the ATI driver fixed,
you should try another card.  I switched to NVIDIA GeForce3
cards and they have worked well.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Monitor Trouble At 4th Edition Install Disk Bootup (Quick Fix:
@ 2003-12-09 15:03   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-12-09 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> There were many variations of hardware sold under that name,
> not all of them supported by the Plan9 ATI driver.  Seeing
> the image split into multiple vertical stripes like that is
> the usual symptom.  Unless you can get the ATI driver fixed,
> you should try another card.  I switched to NVIDIA GeForce3
> cards and they have worked well.

all this is true, but if it worked under 3e, it should still work.

russ