* [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
       [not found] <3BBB12CF4EFF4040B38542759379E3CD0277B3@XMAIL.asuch.cas.cz>
@ 2009-02-09 10:09 ` cej
From: cej @ 2009-02-09 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

?
++pac

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-09 11:33   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2009-02-09 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Feb 9, 2009, at 5:09 AM, cej@gli.cas.cz wrote:

> ?
> ++pac

This is my only concern over the whole "sources is gone" thing; this
time the web interface has been down for longer than usual (two weeks,
maybe more?).

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-09 12:52     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-09 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> This is my only concern over the whole "sources is gone" thing; this
> time the web interface has been down for longer than usual (two weeks,
> maybe more?).

not true.  i just tried it an http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
comes up instantly.  perhaps your machine is on the fritz?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-09 13:08       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2009-02-09 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I will not comment - I've been asked to leave 95% boy alone. Certainly
works from Brazil. I downloaded a CD image just last night.

brucee

@ 2009-02-09 13:21       ` cej
From: cej @ 2009-02-09 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> This is my only concern over the whole "sources is gone" thing; this
>> time the web interface has been down for longer than usual (two weeks,
>> maybe more?).

>not true.  i just tried it an http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
>comes up instantly.  perhaps your machine is on the fritz?

I meant WEB access to sources:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/plan9/sys/src/

++pac

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 2625 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-09 18:26         ` Nicola Gagliardi
From: Nicola Gagliardi @ 2009-02-09 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm talking about the web interface to /n/sources/contrib, which is http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/. That has been down for two weeks.

@ 2009-02-10  4:04           ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2009-02-10  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

9fs not good enough for you? what operating system are you using?

brucee

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 5:26 AM, Nicola Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:
> I'm talking about the web interface to /n/sources/contrib, which is http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/. That has been down for two weeks.
>
> On Monday, February 09, 2009, at 08:08AM, "Bruce Ellis" <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>I will not comment - I've been asked to leave 95% boy alone. Certainly
>>works from Brazil. I downloaded a CD image just last night.
>>
>>brucee

>>> not true.  i just tried it an http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
>>> comes up instantly.  perhaps your machine is on the fritz?
>>>
>>> - erik

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-10  4:13             ` Pietro Gagliardi
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2009-02-10  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm trying to transfer files from my Plan 9 virtual PC to Mac OS X for
printing; QEMU has no USB yet and SAMBA fails on Mac OS X Leopard. I
print on systems without plan9ports, and where I have no development
tools (so I can't build it). Right now I've been using my FTP server,
but it disconnects me after I access the PDF file, so I need to log on
and delete it.

@ 2009-02-10  4:31               ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2009-02-10  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to transfer files from my Plan 9 virtual PC to Mac OS X for
> printing; QEMU has no USB yet and SAMBA fails on Mac OS X Leopard. I print
> on systems without plan9ports, and where I have no development tools (so I
> can't build it). Right now I've been using my FTP server, but it disconnects
> me after I access the PDF file, so I need to log on and delete it.

 Drawterm/9vx should work also. Though it doesn't help the overloaded
bell-labs http server, of course ;)
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-10  4:41                 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2009-02-10  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Anything wrong with the Live CD? Or doesn't an Apple PC cope.

If you want to complain about qemu, again, this is not the right
mailing list - 95% of the time.

brucee

@ 2009-02-10  6:51               ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2009-02-10  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm trying to transfer files from my Plan 9 virtual PC to Mac OS X for
> printing; QEMU has no USB yet and SAMBA fails on Mac OS X Leopard. I
> print on systems without plan9ports, and where I have no development
> tools (so I can't build it). Right now I've been using my FTP server,
> but it disconnects me after I access the PDF file, so I need to log on
> and delete it.

SMB?! FTP?! you're trying too hard.

if you drawterm from osx to plan9,  your local (osx) fs is
mounted on /mnt/term. powerpc and pentium binaries
are available at swtch.com.

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-10  7:03                 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2009-02-10  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Whizzo Butter

Pepperpot #1: I can't tell the difference between Whizzo butter and
this dead crab.

Interviewer: Yes, we find that 9 out of 10 British housewives can't
tell the difference between Whizzo Butter and a dead crab.

Various Pepperpots: It's true… We can't… No.

[SMB? FTP? Whizzo Butter? Dead Crab?]

brucee

@ 2009-02-10  8:52               ` cej
From: cej @ 2009-02-10  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I found a mirror at
http://www.kix.in/plan9/mirror/sources/contrib/
It is working,
cheers,

++pac

I'm trying to transfer files from my Plan 9 virtual PC to Mac OS X for
printing; QEMU has no USB yet and SAMBA fails on Mac OS X Leopard. I
print on systems without plan9ports, and where I have no development
tools (so I can't build it). Right now I've been using my FTP server,
but it disconnects me after I access the PDF file, so I need to log on
and delete it.

On Feb 9, 2009, at 11:04 PM, Bruce Ellis wrote:

> 9fs not good enough for you? what operating system are you using?
>
> brucee
>
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 5:26 AM, Nicola Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm talking about the web interface to /n/sources/contrib, which is http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/
>> . That has been down for two weeks.
>>
>> On Monday, February 09, 2009, at 08:08AM, "Bruce Ellis" <bruce.ellis@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>> I will not comment - I've been asked to leave 95% boy alone.
>>> Certainly
>>> works from Brazil. I downloaded a CD image just last night.
>>>
>>> brucee
>>>
>>> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 11:52 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 3897 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-10  9:43                 ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-10  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Since the 9P service seems to be more stable, anyone willing to run an
httpd process on Plan 9 can provide web-based access to others -- just
mount /srv/sources within HTTP's namespace and provide webls access to
the DIR.

you know... if you really wanted to help in doing non-Plan 9-ish things
ak

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 11255 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1868 bytes --]

I found a mirror at
http://www.kix.in/plan9/mirror/sources/contrib/
It is working,
cheers,

++pac

I'm trying to transfer files from my Plan 9 virtual PC to Mac OS X for
printing; QEMU has no USB yet and SAMBA fails on Mac OS X Leopard. I
print on systems without plan9ports, and where I have no development
tools (so I can't build it). Right now I've been using my FTP server,
but it disconnects me after I access the PDF file, so I need to log on
and delete it.

On Feb 9, 2009, at 11:04 PM, Bruce Ellis wrote:

> 9fs not good enough for you? what operating system are you using?
>
> brucee
>
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 5:26 AM, Nicola Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm talking about the web interface to /n/sources/contrib, which is http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/
>> . That has been down for two weeks.
>>
>> On Monday, February 09, 2009, at 08:08AM, "Bruce Ellis" <bruce.ellis@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>> I will not comment - I've been asked to leave 95% boy alone.
>>> Certainly
>>> works from Brazil. I downloaded a CD image just last night.
>>>
>>> brucee
>>>
>>> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 11:52 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: winmail.dat --]

@ 2009-02-10  9:53             ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2009-02-10  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Personally, I use Mac OSX because I'm thick, but regardless of that,
Pietro et al are quite right. Erik correctly said that if you try to
access http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
it works fine. However, if you try to follow the link  "browse the
source", you, or at least I, get the following:

Object not found

The object /plan9/sys/src/ does not exist on this server.

errstr: '/bin/ip/httpd/sources' does not exist
uri host:
header host:
actual host: plan9.bell-labs.com

It's been this way for a couple of weeks. As it stands, at least for
some people, web access to sources using a browser is not working. No
need to shoot the messengers.

@ 2009-02-10 12:45               ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2009-02-10 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sorry 9fans. I'm having terrible trouble using my Nintendo and Lego to
rebuild the kernel. It's been like this for at least a month. Should I
upgrade to an Apple PC? I have an old 386 that runs Plan9 just fine
but I really like my Nintendo. Sorry for the lack of any more details
- I have to fix my bike so I don't have to take the school bus.

Tiger

@ 2009-02-10 13:49                 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2009-02-10 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thank you for your advice, Skip and others, but I still can't access
my 386 machine from school. My home IP is 10.0.0.4 - I have asked
about this before but can't find the response. It has been like this
for over a year. I tried using the Apple PC in the library - maybe I'm
just thick. I have posted a good tutorial on my facebook page. Is
there a good nroff package for use with facebook? You can chat with me
in Second Life at lunch time if I'm clogging up this list too much.
Please don't shoot the Avatar!

Tiger

@ 2009-02-10 14:10                   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2009-02-10 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thank you for your off-list advice, Mr jmk. I will visit the toy store
after band practice. What model do you recommend? I have been saving
my pocket money for just such a purpose.

You seem to be very good at Plan9. How do I learn such things? I'm a
newbie. Do you play Unreal Tournament? I heard a rumour that it is
used at Bell Labs.

I am still a bit confused about the cost of Plan9. I don't want to be
using a pirated copy, as I might get grounded. Also is qemu part of
Inferno?

Tiger

@ 2009-02-10 14:36                     ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-02-10 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

All parody aside, Bruce, the service did exist at one point, and it
existed because it was useful to enough people for the labs to make it
and set it up. It's been available for several years. Hiccups aside,
it's a bummer that it's down for so long. At this point, I'd think it
would be obvious that there are people other than the 5 of us who
actually have a Plan 9 machine to drawterm into or an
easily-accessible 9vx instance. Even despite the fact that I *do* have
access to Plan 9 machines and that I *do* have access to 9vx
instances, I find myself looking at the web-exported source during
times it would be infeasible for me to access them (while I'm at work,
for instance).

This is the same thread that comes through 9fans monthly --
 - ``What happened to X?''
 = ``Screw X''
 - ``But I actually use X''
 = ``Who cares''
 = ``X sucks and so do you''
 = ``Go blow goats, etc.''

I can appreciate the humor, but not at the expense of dismissing the
problem. If the labs don't want to keep the thing running, great,
someone else can sync with sources and provide that interface. So,
let's change the question: ``Labs guys, is that thing dead, and should
we set another one up -- or are we back in another hiccup period?''

``Mockery is easy. Helping people is hard.'' It amuses me that, having
come up with such a degrading rant about wanting to access sources via
HTTP, you're sending email on your proverbial Nintendo Lego blocks.

--dho

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-10 16:02                       ` matt
                                           ` (2 more replies)
From: matt @ 2009-02-10 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

iirc sources is down because there was some heavy scraping going on that
was maxing out the CPU at the labs, see 9fans passim

I've found it frustrating, but mostly when trying to show off mad Glenda
skillz on reddit / slashdot.

The wiki points to a contrib mirror on 9grid.de that goes to a spam page
and another to a 404 - http://sirviente.9grid.es/sources/
and another to a dead domain - http://plan9.kix.in/mirror/sources/

I wonder if

http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Setting_up_a_sources_mirror/

still works :>

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-10 16:21                         ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2009-02-10 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i may be wrong here but http://9fans.net/archive/2008/10/99 may be
suggesting why these problems are occuring.
if i'm correct, i feel compeled to say: what's the problem with using
old threads that discuss the same issue?

iru

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-10 16:31                           ` matt
From: matt @ 2009-02-10 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> i may be wrong here but http://9fans.net/archive/2008/10/99 may be
> suggesting why these problems are occuring.
> if i'm correct, i feel compeled to say: what's the problem with using
> old threads that discuss the same issue?
>
> iru

while culling my last set of links I did notice that I got a few "object
not found, remote side hung up" in httpd error message format, though it
seems sporadic rather than ongoing (I can't reproduce it now!)

Thus a new saying "If you want Plan9 you know where it's hidden!"

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-10 16:38                             ` Venkatesh Srinivas
From: Venkatesh Srinivas @ 2009-02-10 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 04:31:32PM +0000, matt wrote:

>> i may be wrong here but http://9fans.net/archive/2008/10/99 may be
>> suggesting why these problems are occuring.
>> if i'm correct, i feel compeled to say: what's the problem with using
>> old threads that discuss the same issue?
>>
>> iru
>>
> while culling my last set of links I did notice that I got a few "object
> not found, remote side hung up" in httpd error message format, though it
> seems sporadic rather than ongoing (I can't reproduce it now!)
>
> Thus a new saying "If you want Plan9 you know where it's hidden!"

Would sharing /sys/src be enough for people?

-- vs

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-10 16:45                         ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-02-10 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i've updated the mirrors page; right now, it's only got 9grid.es right
now. i've also removed the explicit mention of specific mirrors from
the "sources repository" page, where i think you were seeing what you
were seeing. i've changed it to reference the mirrors page.

i only saw 9grid.de on the contrib index page; i've removed that. that
page is automatically generated, although that hasn't run in a while.
i'm reworking that script a bit; the new version will refer to the
wiki page on mirrors. i expect to be running that more regularly by
the end of the week.

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-10 18:04                           ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2009-02-10 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I just found a PC on the street, in Brazil, and it runs Plan9 fine -
ten minutes to install.

So don't cry to me.

I've changed my password so that Tiger can't use my account. He is
very happy with the crap machine.

I just hate all the non-technical whining on here.

"Can someone look into the web interface?" would have worked.

brucee

@ 2009-02-10 18:12                             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-10 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I just hate all the non-technical whining on here.

technical whining, now i'm all for that.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-10 18:24                             ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-02-10 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/2/10 Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com>:
> I just hate all the non-technical whining on here.

Agreed

> "Can someone look into the web interface?" would have worked.

Agreed

> brucee

-dho

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-10 18:46                               ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2009-02-10 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

>> "Can someone look into the web interface?" would have worked.
>
> Agreed

+1 Agreed.

But let's not devolve into the
OpenBSD-every-word-must-be-right-or-you-get-flamed culture.

* Re: [9fans] Web interface to '/n/sources/contrib' gone??
@ 2009-02-10 19:18                                 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2009-02-10 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

+2 agreed. As you can see I screwed up the last mail. I find it
difficult to speak portuguese and write in english at the same time,
but I'm learning - not whining. Shoot me.

brucee

@ 2009-02-10 21:31                         ` Gabriel Díaz López de la Llave
From: Gabriel Díaz López de la Llave @ 2009-02-10 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

I should update wiki:

http://9grid.es/sources

It is not updated, as i stopped the mirroring process when all this
started in november 2008 more or less.

slds.

gabi