* [9fans] [plan9mod] C compilers??
@ 2008-07-23  9:02 qwertyp9q
From: qwertyp9q @ 2008-07-23  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just installed Plan 9 from a plan9.iso CD image.  However, once
installed tried running cc but that did not result in it being found
(nor 8c etc).  Tried google'ing and looking at the Plan 9 site but
have come up dry.  This seems to easy, so I'm sure I'm missing
something obvious.  Please help.  If there are any links to a download
that'll be necessary please provide, thanks.

* Re: [9fans] [plan9mod] C compilers??
@ 2008-07-24 11:24 ` bblochl@fh-lauitz.de
From: bblochl@fh-lauitz.de @ 2008-07-24 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

qwertyp9q@gmail.com schrieb:
> Just installed Plan 9 from a plan9.iso CD image.  However, once
> installed tried running cc but that did not result in it being found
> (nor 8c etc).  Tried google'ing and looking at the Plan 9 site but
> have come up dry.  This seems to easy, so I'm sure I'm missing
> something obvious.  Please help.  If there are any links to a download
> that'll be necessary please provide, thanks.

Dear qwertyp9q,
I was heavily beaten as I ascertained some lack of documentation for
starters with plan9. (Write code - not mails! Plan 9 is for programmers
only. Load it down and you have the whole bunch......etc.) But Michael
A. Covington (Univ. of Georgia) sent me a link to his "A plan 9 Newbie's
Guide" (many thanks to him). Follow this link
http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/newbie-guide.pdf. There is an example on page 14:

The names of the compiler and linker are dependent on the CPU
architecture. For the 386 they are 8c and 8l (a lower case L!). In his
example it goes like this:
~> 8c myprog.c
~> 8l -o myprog myprog.8
~> myprog
As he points out, you do not have to write ./myprog, because in Plan 9
the current directory is in the path by default.

One might make a file mk, here for instance for a sparc machine:
#mk_easy: the easy mkfile
myprog.k:  myprog.c myprog.h
    kc myprog.c
myprog: myprog.k
    kl -o myprog myprog.k

A more sophisticated way for different architectures to support seems to
me a little batch mkfile roughly like this:

#mk_noarch: architecture independent mkfile
< /$objtype/mkfile
$=O.myprog: myprog.$O
    $LD $CFLAGS -o $O.myprog myprog.$O
myprog.$O: myprog.c myprog.h
    $CC myprog.c

mk reads environmetal variables as macros and with the < that will be
added in a mkfile. The varable objtype will be set to cputype as plan 9
starts. One may change this easily to compile to another architecture.
$O is a variable that will be initialized in /$objtype/mkfile. You may
check the settings by
~> cat /$objtype/mkfile
....... here a list of will follow
The variable CPUS will show the supported architectures.
With this variable will be set the architecture dependencys
automatically. A compilation for a sparc machine than goes like that:
~> mk -f mk_noarch
kc myprog.c
kl  -o k.myprog myprog.k

To compile this to another architecture one has to set objtype to the
name of the architecture. For instance for a mips machine:
~> objtype=mips mk -f mk_noarch
vc myprog.c
vl  -o v.myprog myprog.v

Hope that helps for a good start! And have fun with the machine!

BB

* Re: [9fans] [plan9mod] C compilers??
@ 2008-07-24 12:28   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-07-24 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

bblochi - you failed to solve his problem. Instead you spat out an
insane commentary on how to compile C programs, and the following both
show his problem and show he figured out how to do it:

On Jul 23, 2008, at 5:02 AM, qwertyp9q@gmail.com wrote:
> did not result in it being found (nor 8c etc).

quertyp9q - I'm sorry, but I don't know why your system came up dry.
Try running

	/usr/glenda/bin/rc/pull

and tell me if the binaries start appearing.

To everyone - I'm writing a C programming tutorial. Perhaps THAT will
make you happy, bblochi.

* Re: [9fans] [plan9mod] C compilers??
@ 2008-07-24 12:40     ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-07-24 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sorry, I did not meant to say insane. It's a good commentary, but was
not the answer to his problem.

@ 2008-07-24 14:23       ` bblochl@fh-lauitz.de
From: bblochl@fh-lauitz.de @ 2008-07-24 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Pietro Gagliardi schrieb:
> Sorry, I did not meant to say insane. It's a good commentary, but was
> not the answer to his problem.
>
> On Jul 24, 2008, at 8:28 AM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
>
>> bblochi - you failed to solve his problem. Instead you spat out an
>> insane commentary on how to compile C programs, and the following
>> both show his problem and show he figured out how to do it:
>>
>> On Jul 23, 2008, at 5:02 AM, qwertyp9q@gmail.com wrote:
>>> did not result in it being found (nor 8c etc).
>>
>> quertyp9q - I'm sorry, but I don't know why your system came up dry.
>> Try running
>>
>>     /usr/glenda/bin/rc/pull
>>
>> and tell me if the binaries start appearing.
>>
>> To everyone - I'm writing a C programming tutorial. Perhaps THAT will
>> make you happy, bblochi.

Thanks! You should forward your friendly comments to Michael A.
Covington. May be he will correct his Newbie`s guide?

Kind regards
BB

PS: There are many ways to R.I.P. an OS.

* Re: [9fans] [plan9mod] C compilers??
@ 2008-07-24 18:39         ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-07-24 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jul 24, 2008, at 10:23 AM, bblochl@fh-lauitz.de wrote:

> Thanks! You should forward your friendly comments to Michael A.
> Covington. May be he will correct his Newbie`s guide?

I thought those were YOUR words, not his.

* Re: [9fans] [plan9mod] C compilers??
@ 2008-07-24 19:19           ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-07-24 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

All right, let's stop this now. I had just waken up and was a bit
tired when I wrote that. But I had a reason: you did not answer the
question of why the system didn't have an 8c.

sorry.

* Re: [9fans] [plan9mod] C compilers??
@ 2008-07-25 15:49             ` bblochl
From: bblochl @ 2008-07-25 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Pietro Gagliardi schrieb:
> All right, let's stop this now. I had just waken up and was a bit
> tired when I wrote that. But I had a reason: you did not answer the
> question of why the system didn't have an 8c.
>
> sorry.

I have checked the original mail of qwery9q:
"However, once installed tried running cc but that did not result in it
being found (nor 8c etc). "

So I must say my response was not targeted that good. But I lent help
with Plan 9 a couple of times in the last weeks and the ""cc question"
is obvious, so that I react with a refelexive answer just seeing the "cc
question". Sorry.

Just to make clear, I am not a Plan 9 expert, but well, an answer of a
simple minded user like me might be:
No there is no additional download necessary. I did about a dozen
installations in the last weeks and never found such a curiosity of a
running system missing the c compiler. Just to check, I also tried a
live Plan 9 and found the c compiler there as well. Please check at the
prompt % again.

Kind regards

BB