From: ori@eigenstate.org
To: fshahriar@gmail.com, 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] git9 on 9legacy
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 23:46:20 -0800	[thread overview]

> Very cool. I just tried and it seems to work.
>
>         patch/apply rc-line-split
>
> This patch does not apply cleanly on 9legacy because of conflict with
> rc-badrunes patch
> (see http://www.9legacy.org/patch.html) which is included in 9legacy CD
> image.

Ah, I was working from miller's pi image. I've not been following what the
differences between the various images are; I assumed that 9legacy and the
pi image were close enough. What's the best way to get in sync on the pi?

> I've installed the commands in a "git9" directory instead of "git", so it
> doesn't conflict with the 9legacy git script (
> http://www.9legacy.org/9legacy/tools/git), which I still want to have
> around for 'go get'. It's possible we can have a more complete git script
> with the help of git9.

Yes.  I've thought about this a bit, and I think the approach I like
most is a 'git/compat' script, which would leave you in a namespace
where 'git' is a git-compatible-enough script that you could use for
foreign software like go. Something like:

	#!/bin/rc
	bind -b /sys/lib/git/compat /bin

Where /sys/lib/git/compat is a directory containing a 'git' script
with all of the compatibility switches and mangling that's needed.

But I don't have the 'git' script that we'd put there, and I don't
know what sufficient compatibility looks like, so I'd need someone
else to help out on that end.

One notable omission in git9, by the way, is http clones. This is
something go may want. I personally don't miss them, so I'm unlikely
to get around to them soon, but I have a good idea of how to go about
them, and I'd be happy to help out anyone interested in getting it
done.