* [9fans] Two faces(1) derivatives
@ 2015-11-21 18:38 a
From: a @ 2015-11-21 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I really like faces(1). I've got a pair of derivatives I've been
playing around with. The first, cleverly called nfaces, overlays
the user, rather than the domain, on unknown senders (I have
good coverage of the domains I exchange mail with even
semi-frequently), and doesn't print anything below the icons.
This allows for a shorter display, and I generally have it running
across the top of my screen. The second, inbox, displays a
single column of faces, with sender, date, and subject off to the
right (it also eliminates faces' -h option and assumes -i). My
startup script has this on the left side, ~450px wide, with acme
covering all but the left 100 or so. Both have minor cosmetic
differences.

Both of these are based on Erik's faces derivative, so they
pick up his middle button delete, although I end up using that
very rarely. I'm likely to remove it from nfaces to further
shrink the display, and replace it with a menu in inbox which
will allow more actions on the message (like more easily
sticking them in other folders, my most frequent frustration
with mail on Plan 9).

Inbox has some minor display bugs I haven't gotten around
to tracking down. It also has a man page.

The screenshot attached shows both. You can get them at
/n/sources/contrib/anothy/src/cmd/(nfaces inbox) if you're
interested. I also have most of my faces additions online, as
described on the wiki:
	http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/adding_your_face/index.html
Submissions (code and faces) welcome.

Anthony

[The wiki went down again as I was typing this. If you want my
faces database, you can do this:
	cd /lib/face && con -l tcp!9srv.net!50001 | gunzip | tar -x
It'll create a README file and 'people' and 'domains' directories,
but won't touch any of the stock files.]

[-- Attachment #2: faces.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 54160 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Two faces(1) derivatives
@ 2015-11-21 20:38 ` Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2015-11-21 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i wrote a quick hack of faces to show gravatar images, but i doubt it
has much usefulness given the apparent lack of gravatar use in the
9fan world.

@ 2015-11-21 21:35 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2015-11-21 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Two things came up while working on this:

1) Does anyone know what Infolines, in main.c, is/was used for?

2) Figuring out how far down to move a line of text seems more
manual than it should be, and I don’t understand how to do it in a
way that’s good for most fonts. Am I missing something?

* Re: [9fans] Two faces(1) derivatives
@ 2015-11-21 21:44   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2015-11-21 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I thought about doing something like gravatar, but it’s not well-used
among my social or professional circles, either, outside of a few forums.
Still, I’d be interested in seeing what you did. I think it’d be neat to have
‘gravatarfs’, which you could mount (or not) under /lib/face, and have it
construct the .dict and face files as needed. No changes to faces needed,
anything which know how to look through that tree already benefits.

Anthony