* [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X
@ 2008-01-31 10:40 Christian Kellermann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2008-01-31 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dear List,

I would like to use the p9p tools for Mac OS X. As stupid as its
defaults are the filesystem is case insensitive. Therefore font
files for troff conflict (namely Hb and HB, maybe others too). Is
anyone on this list using p9p on Mac OS X? If yes, what's been our
solution for this issue?

Kind regards,

Christian

--
You may use my gpg key for replies:
pub  1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X
@ 2008-01-31 11:25 ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2008-01-31 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i use p9p under macos x too. i format the disk
with a case sensitive filesystem.

mind you, i think i must have used it with a case insensitive
filesystem before, and it just worked. i guess i didn't use
those troff font files.

  cheers,
    rog.

@ 2008-01-31 11:37   ` Christian Kellermann
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2008-01-31 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> [080131 12:29]:
> i use p9p under macos x too. i format the disk
> with a case sensitive filesystem.
>
> mind you, i think i must have used it with a case insensitive
> filesystem before, and it just worked. i guess i didn't use
> those troff font files.

I just noticed because I did a mercurial checkout and this is failing...

--

@ 2008-01-31 12:24 ` Anant Narayanan
From: Anant Narayanan @ 2008-01-31 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I would like to use the p9p tools for Mac OS X. As stupid as its
> defaults are the filesystem is case insensitive. Therefore font
> files for troff conflict (namely Hb and HB, maybe others too). Is
> anyone on this list using p9p on Mac OS X? If yes, what's been our
> solution for this issue?

Converting to a case-sensitive filesystem is a quick one-click
operation from disk utility that takes less than 2 minutes. I
recommend you switch to it to avoid any further issues.

--
Anant

* Re: [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X
@ 2008-01-31 13:25 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-01-31 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I would like to use the p9p tools for Mac OS X. As stupid as its
> defaults are the filesystem is case insensitive. Therefore font
> files for troff conflict (namely Hb and HB, maybe others too). Is
> anyone on this list using p9p on Mac OS X? If yes, what's been our
> solution for this issue?

I've renamed the offending files.  I expect no one
is using Helvetica Narrow anyway.

In general p9p tries to accomodate the widest possible
number of systems -- these are the only files with
case conflicts, I believe, so it is easier to work around
them than to force everyone to modify their system
configurations.

Please let me know if you run into any other case conflicts.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X
@ 2008-01-31 14:38   ` Christian Kellermann
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2008-01-31 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> [080131 14:30]:
> Please let me know if you run into any other case conflicts.

You missed at least one:
$ hg clone http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/plan9 plan9
requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 2712 changesets with 15440 changes to 8264 files
abort: case-folding collision between troff/font/devutf/charlib/lH and troff/font/devutf/charlib/lh

And for converting the fs I thought you can only define the case
sensitivity at fs creation time...

Thanks Russ!

Christian

--

@ 2008-01-31 15:30     ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2008-01-31 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I always have either a second partition formated case sensitive for
all real work, or create disk images with a case sensitive format.  It
helps keep things honest enough (the same goes for Inferno and p9p and
anything not from OSX-only developers).

* Re: [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X
@ 2008-01-31 12:03 Josh Wood
From: Josh Wood @ 2008-01-31 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Don't know about hg, but `cvs up -dP' gets it done on case-
INsensitive HFS+ volumes on Macs I have.

Source sync tool of preference aside, I can second rog on case-
sensitive HFS (or even Mac(NeXT) UFS if you like). Since both of
these can be less convenient on boot volumes, a partition for the
purpose, or a removable of some kind so formatted, is handy, since
the filename case issue comes up in more than just p9p.

-Josh