* [9fans] Bootstrapping on Alpha
@ 2000-06-28  8:27 Rhialto
From: Rhialto @ 2000-06-28  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'd like to try Plan 9 on my Alpha (PWS 433au), but there does not seem
to be any way to bootstrap it. I would also be happy to run it on my VAX
(VAXstation 3100 m38 with plenty of memory and disk). For (hopefully)
obvious reasons, there are no intel cpus in my home. How do I do this?

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder   -- Ah only did well at school
\X/ land.nl      -- tae git intae an O level class tae git away fae Begbie.

* Re: [9fans] Bootstrapping on Alpha
@ 2000-06-28 16:07 dhog
From: dhog @ 2000-06-28 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'd like to try Plan 9 on my Alpha (PWS 433au), but there does not seem
> to be any way to bootstrap it. I would also be happy to run it on my VAX
> (VAXstation 3100 m38 with plenty of memory and disk). For (hopefully)
> obvious reasons, there are no intel cpus in my home. How do I do this?

Please note that that the Alpha port currently only runs on the AlphaPC 164
(and perhaps a few close relatives).  At the moment, the only way of booting
it is via bootp/tftp (but I'm planning to address that limitation).  If you don't
have any 386-compatible cpus, you're going to have to get someone else
to build all the alpha binaries for you.

I think a PWS 433au is sufficiently like an AlphaPC 164 to work (it has a
21164 CPU and Pyxis (21174) core-logic, right?).  There might need to be
some tweaks for the core logic, I think the port has only been tested
on the 21172 core logic.