* [9fans] Post install probs with other OS
@ 2002-05-02  9:32 Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2002-05-02  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I installed plan9 betwen two other OS , FreeBSD and OpenBSD, in my hard
drive.
No prob with the installation and plan9 booted successfully...
But, when I tried to boot with *BSD... I 've got nothing.

The NetBSD-FreeBSD-OpenBSD-WinNT-windows-plan9's fdisk can see my *BSD's
slices,
there are always in my hard drive... it seems that my patitions on my two
BSD's slices are
...... disappear.
They are no mountable too.

I dont understand . I just installed plan9 in the same place I  previously
installed the
plan9 r3 3 months ago and I didn't got this kind of probleme the first time.

Anyone know the solution ?
Thanks
--
Serge Gagnon

* [9fans] Re: Post install probs with other OS
@ 2002-05-07 12:00 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2002-05-07 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Serge Gagnon wrote:
> No prob with the installation and plan9 booted successfully...
> But, when I tried to boot with *BSD... I 've got nothing.

Probably your boot block was replaced by Plan 9's.
Booting multiple OSes on PCs requires some sort of boot manager.
I use V-Com's "System Commander" but there are several others.
If you have some sort of "repair diskette" for your other OSes
try using it to restore the boot block, then figure out how to
add Plan 9 to your multi-boot menu.

* Re: [9fans] Post install probs with other OS
@ 2002-05-07 12:04 ` Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2002-05-07 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

First of all, I'm sorry for the delay between your post and mine.
My isp had a "little" problem with his optical fiber...
a prob that it take 3 day to fix.
Secondo, I don't speak english, but I'm sure that I can make better
than the first post I did...:)

On Thu, 2 May 2002 18:10:31 GMT
rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com (Russ Cox) wrote:

> I'm trying to understand this.  The symptoms are:
>
> 	- fdisk on lots of systems can see the BSD partitions?

Yes, the partition, or slices in BSD's language, are always on the
disk.

> 	- you can't mount the BSD partition in BSD?

I can't mount BSD with the other BSD on my second disk that I previously
disconnected before I tried to install Plan9. I also tried to mount
these slices from the installation disk ( OpenBSD ) because I
can escape to a shell from the installation and use some tools
like mount, disklabel, fdisk, but with no success.
But, I can mount from the BSD on the disk because it cannot
boot...

> What does
>
> 	echo p | disk/fdisk /dev/sdXX/data
>
> (replace sdXX with your disk) print?

/dev/sdC0/data ==
cylinder = 8225280
 p1			0 127	(127 cylinders, 996.21MB) BSD386
*p2		      127 337	(210 cylinders, 1.96GB  ) Plan9
 empty		      337 1019	(683 cylinders, 5.22GB  )
 p3		     1019 2932  (1913 cylinders, 14.65GB) type 166
 p4		     2932 4111  (1179 cylinders, 9.03BG ) BSD386

> Thanks.
> Russ

Ok, forget it about the solution because, the more I think about my prob,
the more I think that the solution is unix specific, not plan9 :).

However, I think that is a problem with plan9 and my MBR. But I don't know
if this problem is "my computer specific".
Plan9 has probably deleted my labels I created with BSD's disklabel(8) for
my partitions inside the BSD's slice. I can see the slice type 166, but not
the partitions /var, /tmp, /home, /usr and /Storage I created inside to be
 more specific. This, is for my two BSD ( Free and Open ) on my
disk ... /dev/sdC0 or /dev/wd0... or the one that we speak about :)

I'll give you some informations about my computer if it is a real
probleme with plan9.

Computer=pc i386
cpu=amd k62 266
disk=maxtor 40G IDE

I don't know what other informations I'll can give to you,
( I'm a newbee on plan9 and unix too...) but if you'll ask
some other informations, it will be a pleasure for me to answer.

--
Serge Gagnon

* Re: [9fans] Post install probs with other OS
@ 2002-05-07 12:01 ` Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2002-05-07 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-02 18:04 Russ Cox