* [9fans] ati mobility on the horizon?
@ 2002-05-20  9:54 sparkane
From: sparkane @ 2002-05-20  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I was just wondering if anyone knew if, and if = 'yes' then when, there
may be support in plan 9 for the ati mobility chip. I got a new big hard
drive on my inspiron 5000e and was all set to put p9 on a partition, and
then sorrow at reading the required hardware.

if there will be none ever | not for a long time, maybe someone could
suggest what else I can use that partition for. (Not linux, that I
already got! :)

* Re: [9fans] ati mobility on the horizon?
@ 2002-05-20 10:24 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-05-20 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 09:54:38AM +0000, sparkane wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone knew if, and if = 'yes' then when, there
> may be support in plan 9 for the ati mobility chip. I got a new big hard
> drive on my inspiron 5000e and was all set to put p9 on a partition, and
> then sorrow at reading the required hardware.

I tried to reply privately, but your e-mail address seems to be
invalid.

The jist of my reply was that Plan 9 doesn't yet have the following
that makes device drivers appear nearly as fast as devices are
produced.

> if there will be none ever | not for a long time, maybe someone could
> suggest what else I can use that partition for. (Not linux, that I
> already got! :)

Maybe you can use it for a combination CPU- and file server and access
it from a networked workstation, be it Plan 9 or Linux/Windows based
(see drawterm).

++L