* [9fans] Help with authentication
@ 2006-09-16 22:07 Leonardo Valencia
From: Leonardo Valencia @ 2006-09-16 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings Plan9 fans, I have spent a big amount of time trying to get
a diskless terminal working with my auth/fs/cpu server (one machine).
Following the directions in the wiki pages plus a lot of research on
this list I am able now to boot the machine through ether0 (using a
9pc kernel), it then asks about the root and I use the tcp method (and
it works fine). Then I am presented with a user prompt, and I put a
valid user that exists in the authentication server (auth/status on
that user returns good information).

Up to this point everything seems fine, the problem is that the
terminal does not ask me about a password at all, and the whole
process continues (rio starts fine). Everytime seems to be correct, I
am even at the local directory of the user, but I don't have any
permissions to write at all.

Looking at /dev/hostowner I can see that the user name was accepted,
yet it seems that my privileges are only the ones of "none". This is
very weird.

On the auth server things seems to work fine, the servers is listening
on the right ports, I can even do an /auth/login to my test user (as
bootes) and then it prompts for password and works fine. When I do
netstat I can see that a port for ticket was opened, so I am really at
 a loss here of what is happening.

I would really appreciate any insights and suggestions to solve this
problem.

Regards,

-Leonardo Valencia

* Re: [9fans] Help with authentication
@ 2006-09-16 23:37 ` Gorka guardiola
From: Gorka guardiola @ 2006-09-16 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/17/06, Leonardo Valencia <leov_plan9@mephisto.cotse.net> wrote:
> Greetings Plan9 fans, I have spent a big amount of time trying to get
> a diskless terminal working with my auth/fs/cpu server (one machine).

Does the user exist in the fs?. Take a look at the man page of fossil.
It seems to me that the user does not exist in your filesystem.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] Help with authentication
@ 2006-09-17  9:20 ` Leonardo Valencia
From: Leonardo Valencia @ 2006-09-17  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Up to this point everything seems fine, the problem is that the
> terminal does not ask me about a password at all, and the whole
> process continues (rio starts fine). Everytime seems to be correct, I
> am even at the local directory of the user, but I don't have any
> permissions to write at all.

Well thanks for the responses that I got so far. The problem turned
out to be a misconfiguration on the fileserver. In my haste to solve a
previous problem with the terminal (the fileserver refusing
connections). I activated the listening process for port 564 by hand
(that is renaming /rc/bin/service/!564 to /rc/bin/service/564). That
little thing got me all confused because the server after that started
responding but the connection was not being authenticated (because
fauth on that connection returned -1).

So the solution was to rename the ofending file again, and configure
fossil to listen on the port itself. Nothing more simple than that,
but I can not believe the number of hours I spent trying to figure
this one out.

Regards,

-Leonardo Valencia